Quarters to … What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

All of a sudden your summer is shorter, the number of classes you’ll take next year is greater, and what is up with the new meal plan?  Buckeyes, the time is almost here: the switch from quarters to semesters.  Now, I know we all love this fast paced learning (yeah right … ), but here is your stress-free guide to figuring out what the year ahead brings.

First of all, here are the top 3 things that semesters will do to your class schedule:

• Lighter classes; instead of having that dreaded math class every day, you will only have it a couple times a week!  Not only this, but you will have 15 weeks to learn the course.  No more weekly midterms and finals before you know it; these classes will be a little bit lighter, longer, and easier to manage. (But, if you don’t like a class, it would be in your best interest to drop it … or else you’ll be stuck with it for half the year!)
  • MORE classes; your course load will definitely increase with the semester switch.  Instead of primarily 5-hour courses taking up your schedule, 3-hour courses will be the new norm.
  • Earlier Summer Break; excluding this year, of course, summers will come quicker!  Upset that your friends are done in a month while we still have two?  This won’t be the case next year!    

Secondly, what should YOU do to prepare for the switch?  Here are some helpful tips:

• Meet with your advisor!  They are there to help you plan your schedule, answer questions about your major, and well, to advise you.
  • Take 5 classes.  This will be a little more than you take now, but remember, these classes will be taught over a longer period of time and won’t be as rushed.
  • Look over the new meal plan.  “Swipes” are history, OSU.  Say hello to “Blocks.”  Still unsure of how they work or what they are?  Click here to watch a video for more information:  http://www.urds.osu.edu/dining/meal-plans/semester-2012-13-dining-plans/
  • Know the dates!  Look over the academic schedule; when do semesters start, end, and when are our breaks?

Still have questions, problems, or concerns?  Go to http://myswitch.osu.edu/ for a course conversion guide, graduation information, finances and more! 

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.