OSU Advances to the Final Four

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

By now, everyone knows that Ohio State will be playing in the Final Four tonight.  The Buckeyes have had to play several good teams to get to where they are now.  They are now 27-7 on the season and are hoping to make it 29-7.  Their next opponent is Kansas and this will be the Buckeyes second time playing them this season.  Unfortunately, the Buckeyes lost to Kansas in their previous matchup, but star player, and now All-American, Jared Sullinger was absent from the game with a back injury.  With Sullinger doing well in the tournament and DeShaun Thomas stepping up and playing his best, the Buckeyes have a chance to make it to the end.  The road to New Orleans has been extremely exciting for the Buckeyes and in case you missed it, here’s a recap of their journey:

OSU VS. Loyola (MD)     78-59

The Buckeye’s first game of the post-season didn’t start off so well.  They had a rocky start, looking like they didn’t know how to play in a tournament game, even though they made it to the Sweet Sixteen last season.  Despite March’s rough beginning, they were able to step their game up in the Madness’ second half.  DeShaun Thomas had one of his best games with a career high of 31 points.

OSU VS. Gonzaga     73-66

The Buckeyes played progressively better during each game of the tournament.  Gonzaga started off the game giving the Buckeyes some trouble while OSU had additional trouble with the amount of fouls being called.  They finished off the game well, with Sullinger making 18 points, Thomas scoring 18 points, and Aaron Craft banking 17 points.

OSU VS. Cincinnati     81-66

The Buckeyes got the chance to play fellow Ohio team, University of Cincinnati.  The Bearcats proved themselves to be a solid team and caught up with the Buckeyes toward the beginning of the 2nd half.  Toward the end, however, the Buckeyes were able to keep their lead for the win.

OSU VS. Syracuse     77-70

Playing Syracuse was, by far, the most challenging test for the Buckeyes this post-season.  They were lucky to have Syracuse’s center, Fab Melo, out of the game due to suspension on academic grounds.  Many fouls were called on both teams throughout the game and the game’s pace certainly slowed.  Sullinger was benched most of the game for having too many fouls and Craft fouled out of the game with only a few minutes left in the 2nd half.  Despite all of the foul trouble, the Buckeyes were able to defeat Syracuse and advance to the Final Four.

Don’t miss the Buckeyes take on Kansas in New Orleans TONIGHT at 8:49 p.m.  GO BUCKS!

Picture Source #1: http://www.ocregister.com/sports/half-346208-game-buckeyes.html

Picture Source #2: http://aeryssports.com/the-poisonous-nuthouse/

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.