This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

With each new season, we see a change in style being worn around campus. For winter, there’s a change in shoes, outerwear and pants as it gets colder and snowy. It may be because campus was either shut down or at half capacity for the last two winters, but it seems like this is the first year I’ve seen so much cohesiveness across closets on campus. Here are the winter fashion trends I’ve seen so far:

Mini boots/slippers

Specifically, the UGG Classic Mini Boots and UGG Tazz Slippers. I didn’t realize how big of a trend these were until the weather dropped below 50 degrees and every other girl I passed walking to class had these on. Instantly, I fell in love and added the platform version to my Christmas wish list. I didn’t get them because they were, and still are, sold out. Of course, there are many dupes that still perfect the cozy look on Amazon and shoe retailers.

Flared Yoga Pants

To get even more detailed, I see the version with the v-lined/criss-crossed waist. You can find these at Aritzia, Lululemon, Old Navy, Aerie and even Walmart to perfectly match your available spending range. I think these are the perfect blend of comfortable and cute. You can dress it down by pairing it with a worn-in sweatshirt and slippers or dress it up with a graphic cropped long sleeve and platform boots. I personally need these in every color and style possible so no one questions when I wear them every day

on-ear headphones

There are a few common choices, namely Apple AirPods Max, Beats Solo 3, and Sony WH-1000XM4. Now, I know this one probably has nothing to do with the change of weather, and isn’t actually an accessory (even though it elevates every outfit in my opinion), but it’s a piece of technology that has popped up more and more since Christmas. With the available color options they add a cute pop to the gray landscape. To actually make them an accessory, there are covers online to match every outfit, or if you’re crafty like @alexandria.masse on Instagram, then you can make your own by crocheting them. They can even look like the next winter trend I’ve noticed: earmuffs.

Earmuffs

I haven’t seen these too frequently on campus, but I’ve seen them enough. Knowing that they’re gaining popularity on Instagram and Tiktok with creators like @aliyahsinterlude1, they’ll be showing up more and more soon. What can I say? Buckeye girls are always on top of trends. I personally love anything that pairs form and function, or stylish and useful. There are tons of colors and styles and sizes to match your closet needs.

Brown

I’ve seen neutral tones, specifically a rich brown, on a campus much more than in my first three years. This trend probably has an origin dating back about two years, but it is still in full force, especially for the winter season. Brown is great because it actually pairs with a lot of colors: blue, pink, green, etc. It’s a great staple in pants, just as much as black and blue jeans. It can also incorporate so many other materials in accessories, like wood and copper, that you may not have been able to pull off before.

Class of 2023 English Creative Writing major with minors in Professional Writing and Fashion and Retail Studies from Norman, Oklahoma.