No More Oversleeping!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

With busy college schedules and no set bedtimes, it can become extremely difficult to get a decent amount of sleep and wake up on time for classes and other activities.
If you find yourself often oversleeping (it happens to the best of us!), try these tips to keep it from becoming a bad habit!

1)     Physically move out of bed.  The minute you turn off your alarm, immediately put two feet on the floor and stand up.  If you stay in bed or even lay back down for just a minute, you will fall back asleep.  So by getting the blood flowing in your body, standing up will prevent you from relaxing and drifting back into dreamland.

2)     Avoid the snooze button.  While it may be tempting to catch a few more minutes of sleep, it’s all too easy to delay your wake-up time longer than intended.  Then you are left scrambling to get to class on time or end up sleeping through the whole thing and becoming stressed-out.  The best thing to do is to just set your alarm for the time you need (even if it’s cutting it close) and avoid the snooze button altogether.  Besides, your roommates probably don’t want to hear the buzz of your alarm multiple times in the morning.

3)     Keep your alarm clock at a distance.  If you are one of those people who tend to do the opposite of my first two tips, it may be wise to place your alarm clock (or phone, whatever you use) at a location in the room that isn’t within arm’s reach from the bed.  That way, you will still be able to hear it, but will be far enough away that you will be forced to physically get up out of bed to turn it off.   Another suggestion is to look into purchasing an alarm clock that will actually do this for you.  The Clocky Alarm Clock does allow you to hit the snooze button, but only once.  After that , it jumps off of your nightstand and rolls to a hidden place, leaving you forced to search for it when it finally goes off again.  It’s around $40.00, but if oversleeping has become a huge issue for you, it could be a good investment!

4)     Change your alarm sound.  If you find that the noise you currently have set to wake you up is not very effective, try making an adjustment.  If the song you have set doesn’t work anymore, try a less relaxing melody.  Or switch to the classic alarm clock “beep” or another variation of it that drive most human beings insane in the morning.  It’s all about finding what works best for you.

5)     Get enough sleep.  This seems like common sense, but it needs to be said.  If you stay up until 5:00 in the morning and have an 8:30 class, the odds of you actually waking up for it are pretty slim.  The suggestions above can be very helpful, but only if you are getting enough sleep to begin with.  So unless you absolutely have to stay awake until the wee hours of the morning for homework, get to bed at a decent hour.

Source: http://www.amazon.com/Clocky-Alarm-Clock-Wheels-Almond/dp/B000PWLTNA/ref…

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.