This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

College is typically the period when students live independently from their families for the first time. Transitioning to dorm life poses a significant adjustment for most students. However, the experience takes on a whole new dimension when students move into their first off-campus living spaces. In the list below, I mention what actions to take and some information to keep in mind before making the big move.

Know your rights as a tenant

Sometimes landlords attempt to deceive their tenants, and it is even easier for landlords to do this to college students who are renting for the first time. Students should become familiar with their state’s landlord-tenant law(s) to make sure they are fully aware of their rights and legal obligations as tenants. If you go to a college in Ohio, take a look at the Ohio Landlord-Tenant Law.

Utilize Student Legal Services

Student Legal Services at Ohio State has law experts who are happy to assist students with their lease and living issues free of charge. One service they offer is a lease review where they examine your lease and ensure everything is legal. They are also available to assist with joint liability with roommates, securing the return of your security deposit and getting repairs on your unit. If you don’t go to OSU, many colleges throughout the world have legal services offered to students, so I recommend researching them!

Consider obtaining renters insurance 

Many students may overlook the idea of obtaining coverage under a renters insurance policy, mainly due to the added cost on top of the monthly expenses. However, renters insurance will help cover the costs of damages to your personal property in the event that something (e.g., fire, natural disasters, break-in) damages your items. Not to mention, renters insurance is one of the more affordable forms of insurance. 

Take Safety measures

Consider investing in additional safety measures. There are many rental-friendly forms of safety precautions you can take. One such measure is a door security bar that blocks the door from opening. Additionally, students are advised to take necessary precautions, such as locking their doors and windows. 

Be Thrifty when Buying essentials

Furnishing an apartment for the first time can be costly in addition to the other added expenses like rent and your security deposit. That’s why it’s best to start collecting items in advance. Moreover, consider utilizing thrift stores and Facebook Marketplace to offset some of these costs. Also, consult family members to see if they are willing to donate any items. 

Get in the habit of cleaning

For most students, adjusting to cleaning spaces beyond their rooms can be a challenge. Therefore, it is advisable to create a cleaning plan and adhere to it. While it may seem overwhelming initially, having a detailed plan makes it more manageable. 

do your research

This may seem obvious, but many students overlook this one crucial aspect. Basic research should encompass inquiries such as the reliability of the realty company, the safety of the area, included amenities and the quality of parking facilities. Avoid being blindsided two months into your lease, which could lead to significant expenses for breaking the lease. Seek input from individuals familiar with the area or leasing company to gather valuable insights.

Jenna is a second-year student at Ohio State majoring in Strategic Communications and currently thriving as a full-time writer and events coordinator at Her Campus. Juggling academics and real-world experience, she's also an accounts associate at PRactice, a student-led PR firm, and an active member of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). Beyond her professional endeavors, Jenna loves football, skincare, makeup and hair care. She brings a multifaceted perspective to her role at Her Campus, crafting not just articles but a strategic narrative that aligns with her aspirations in the dynamic field of public relations.