More than friends, so what now?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Ever had that one guy who you really like and they seem to feel the same?  You guys go out frequently, are constantly texting, and have aahhhmazing chemistry! You’re 98% sure that you’re on the path to a relationship… that is until while at a party, he runs into some old pals and introduces you as his “friend”.

Well my dear, you are what I like to call a Situationship; that awkward limbo area where you’re not exactly together- together but are more than just friends. It’s this nasty place in which no one wants to be, yet where many woman find themselves.

I know, I know! You didn’t cut off all of your other options and bust out your best porn star moves just to be labeled as simply a friend. Some would say that a title means very little…but they are very wrong! In our society, we girls need that reassurance of being the “girlfriend”.

Now you’re probably wondering how to escape this “situationship” and still end up with your man…

The quote “closed mouths don’t get fed” rings true when looking to take your relationship to the next level. Tell your guy you want more; as the little girl on the AT& T commercial says,  “we want more we want more, we really like it and we want more” . Tell him that you have loved hanging out, but now you’re ready for a serious commitment.
I know this sounds terrifying, and I admit it sometimes can be. But if you leave it up to a guy, he will continue to reap the benefits of having a girlfriend without having to deal with the inconveniences that come with them.

You have to man up and stop presenting yourself on a silver platter for this guy. If you truly have a problem with where your relationship (or lack of one) stands, CHANGE IT!  You don’t want to be my boyfriend, that’s fine, I’ll just stop treating you as one.  Basically, stop making yourself readily available; no you’re not free this weekend, and maybe even ignore a text or two.

Try these suggestions out and let me know how they worked for you!

Alumna of THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY | internet junkie | music connoisseur | supporter of anything DOPE