How to Put Together the Ultimate Spooky Basket for Any Guy or Ghoul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Every October, social media feeds are flooded with pictures of “spooky baskets” – small collections of Halloween- or fall-themed goodies. These baskets are often given from one romantic partner to another, but they can also be exchanged between friends. Putting together a spooky basket is a perfect way to get into the holiday spirit and surprise a loved one. Need inspiration? Keep reading to find out how to put together an Instagram-worthy spooky basket.

The basket itself

Arguably the most important component of the spooky basket is the container itself. You have many different options here, depending on what kind of vibe you are going for. If you are creating a true spooky basket, try a jack-o’-lantern patterned pail, like this one here. If you are going for a cozier feel, a small wicker basket will provide a good base and can also be used as decor year-round. 

A cozy blanket

Who doesn’t love soft, cozy blankets? Especially ones in cute holiday prints? A throw blanket is a comfy addition to any spooky basket and will also help prop up the rest of the goodies in your basket.

A fall candle

Candles are a wonderful way to set the holiday mood. You can never go wrong with a Bath and Body Works candle (such as the Pumpkin Snickerdoodle one). However, TJ Maxx, Homegoods and Target also have a wide variety of fall-themed candles for all budgets.

Their favorite candy

Although this is a rather obvious choice for a Halloween basket, it can be easily overlooked. Add a couple of king-sized candy bars to your basket, or sprinkle a handful of fun-sized goodies throughout. After all, a spooky basket is all about treats, not tricks.

A gift card to their favorite coffee shop

While you might not actually be able to add a Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew to your collection of gifts, you can put a gift card in the basket so your loved one can treat him or herself to a fall beverage.

Tickets to a scary movie

One of the best ways to celebrate the spooky season is by watching scary movies. Take a break from Netflix, and check out the latest spooky films in theaters. This year, consider “Halloween Kills” or “Candyman.”

cozy Accessories

Keep your boo warm and fashionable as the autumn weather gets cooler by putting some comfy fall accessories, such as hats, scarves, mittens or socks, in their spooky basket.

Halloween decor

Help your significant other or friend decorate their living space for the holiday by putting a Halloween decoration or two in their basket. You can find all kinds of small knick-knacks and door signs at local dollar stores that will be sure to spookify their space.

Creating a spooky basket is a sweet, fun way to show a loved one you are thinking about them this Halloween season. Spooky baskets make a great gift because they are fully customizable; you can add whatever items you think the recipient will love. Additionally, spooky baskets can be as affordable or expensive as you want, and there are good items at every price point to fill a basket with.

Jenna is a senior at The Ohio State University (go bucks!!) double majoring in English and Communications. She is from Cincinnati, Ohio. When she isn't writing, reading, or studying, Jenna likes to spend her time eating Skyline Chili and playing with her dogs, Dixie and Dexter.