This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Summer is finally here! It’s time to get ready for warm weather and no more stress from the school year. Though, sometimes summer can seem dull and redundant. Seeing friends going on trips can cause a serious case of FOMO. Even if you aren’t able to go away from home this summer, there are plenty of ways to unwind and relax in the comfort of your own neighborhood! Here are some tips and tricks to have the perfect, relaxing and fun staycation:

1) Prepare BEforehand

All vacations require planning to get the most out of them, even the ones where you don’t leave your home. When leaving for a trip, you normally have the garbage taken out, laundry done, grass mowed and other mundane tasks completed. Having chores done, informing bosses and coworkers that you will be unavailable and creating a comfortable atmosphere are all ways to limit stress during your break. Turn your house into a makeshift hotel. Try replacing your bedding, planning an itinerary for what you want to do each day and making sure you are all set to relax.

2) Put a pause on distractions, work and chores

To have a successful and refreshing staycation, the idea is to stop doing what you usually do. Everyday can get stressful, which is why you may want to take a staycation in the first place! Turning off work reminders or emails, taking a break from daily chores that can feel mundane or repetitive, and limiting distractions that can take away from really focusing on you are useful ways to truly get into the ‘I am on vacation’ mindset.

3) Act like a tourist

The best way to feel like you are on vacation is to act like you are! This involves visiting local shops, restaurants, zoos, ballparks, local festivals or fairs. Research popular places to visit before your staycation, and plan out what you want to do each day as if you are a real tourist. Don’t be afraid to buy a souvenir from your vacation if you see something you really like as well!

4) take a day trip

Day trips are some of the best ways to explore areas right around where you live. Pack a lunch, pick your route and go! Make sure that that your destination is attainable though, which ideally would be no more than three hours away to make sure you aren’t spending multiple days where you go. Visit a nearby lake, city or other spots you may have heard about but never had time for! This is one of the best ways to learn more about where you live, and it’s great if you want a change of scenery for the day.

5) Take a day to relax and reflect

Everyone loves to pamper themselves once in awhile. Whether that means taking a spa day, or going to the local drugstore and getting a variety of selfcare items, take a day to focus on yourself. While you are relaxing, try filling out a journal, reflecting on your goals, reading a book, trying yoga or any other of your favorite ways to take time for yourself.

6) Get outside!

Getting outside during your staycation can feel revitalizing! Whether that be reading a book or magazine in the sun, spending a day by the pool, tanning, going on a hike or even just eating breakfast outside. Coming out of the cold and rainy months, spending time in the sun is really healthy and can actually help increase serotonin levels. So try to get outside if the weather is nice at least once a day for an hour and enjoy the sunshine!

7) Spend a Night away from home

While staycations are definitely one of the best ways to unwind, it can be a bit repetitive staying in the same place you spend every other day in. If you can, try staying in a local hotel for one night for a change of scenery. See if they have a pool you can use, dinner services or other commodities. If you can’t spend a night in a hotel, try planning one night to go out to a restaurant, see a movie or any other night-life activities you want to try!

The best way to get the most out of a staycation is to really focus on what you want to do. This is your vacation, so treat it like one! It doesn’t have to be expensive to enjoy yourself. You control how you want your staycation to feel, so take the time to do what you find enjoyable!

Lexi is a psychology student at Ohio State University. When she isn't studying in the library for class or writing, she loves reading, music, playing with her two dogs that she claims are her babies, and running. She is from North Royalton, a suburb of Cleveland, and is excited to share her writing with everyone out there!