Heather Wiley: Social Butterfly, or Should I Say Angel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

This week, Her Campus OSU met with Pi Beta Phi sorority active Heather Wiley.  We got a chance to talk to her about her involvement in Greek Life and the benefits of being affiliated with an organization on campus.  Heather isn’t just another pretty face, but a sweetheart who takes advantage of many opportunities OSU has to offer.

Name: Heather Wiley

Hometown: Cincinnati, OH

Major: Strategic Communication, Business Minor

Year: Sophomore

What do you enjoy most about the Greek System here at OSU?

I truly enjoy everything about it but my favorite part is the network you get from going Greek.  I have met so many amazing people and have been exposed to so many great opportunities because I am Greek. 

Would you be interested in pursuing a leadership position in your sorority? 

Yes!  I actually just applied for the New Member Coordinator position (fingers crossed)!

As an active member of a sorority, how do you balance your course load and time with your sisters? 

I have actually found that being in a sorority has helped me to do better in school.  One of my sisters is always willing to study with me and they really help to keep me motivated when I’m feeling down about my courses.  There is almost always another Pi Beta Phi in my classes too!

What advice would you give to girls who may be considering whether or not to rush a sorority?

DO IT!  You can always try the recruitment process and then drop out… but if you don’t even try, you may end up regretting it.  Joining a sorority is the best decision I have ever made; I have met so many girls that I feel I am meant to have in my life.  The girls in my house are truly the best friends I could ever ask for and I am so grateful for every one of them.  Most importantly, have faith in the process.  I’m sure you’ve heard this one too many times, but you really do end up in the house that is meant for you.

Could you see yourself going into a profession related to any of your work outside the classroom at OSU?

Maybe not directly but I would really like to continue my involvement with Pi Beta Phi after I graduate.  The number one thing that going Greek has taught me is that I really enjoy giving back and I hope to continue giving back to such an amazing organization for many years to come.

Any other words of wisdom you want to share about getting involved on campus?

The more you put into something you are involved in, the more you will get out of it.  So if you decide against the Greek System for whatever reason, join something!  Even if it’s just one thing.  College is the time to do it, and you only have 4 years.  So step out of your comfort zone and you may just find your true calling.  By getting involved, you will meet so many people and make great connections.  I am lucky to have found my place on this campus so early on, and the Greek community has definitely opened my world up to new and exciting things.  I promise that being part of something at Ohio State will not only help you get connected, but also make your time here a lot more fun.