Style

Dress Codes: What They Are And How To Style Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

When it comes to figuring out what to wear, I struggle on a normal day. You can imagine, then, that selecting an outfit for an event with a dress code is even more difficult. When I got to college and saw that certain meetings required certain outfits, I was so confused. When someone lays it all out for you, however, it’s actually pretty simple!

1. Casual                                                                                                                                                                 

This dress code has the most flexibility. It’s pretty much whatever you would wear on a typical day. Jeans, simple T-shirts, sneakers, they all work, as long as you look somewhat presentable. If someone tells you to dress casually, they probably don’t care what you’re wearing. Each event warrants its own discretion, but it’s pretty hard to go wrong

2. Business Casual                                                                                                                                                       

I find this one to be the most fun to choose outfits for. It’s the perfect balance between fancy and casual. For tops, a simple cardigan, blazer, or a blouse works. Trousers, dark jeans, and skirts are acceptable for bottoms, but dresses are great, too! A mule, flat, or pump can be worn for shoes. The best part about business casual is that not everything has to be the same fabric or color, which is necessary for the next dress code. 

3. Business Professional                                                                                                                                          

Personally, I am not a huge fan of this attire. It isn’t the most fashionable or comfortable, if I’m being honest. Suits are the most common form of business professional, and the two pieces have to match. If the blazer is black, the pants can’t be grey, and they should be cut from the same material. Dresses with a blazer on top are fine, but the dress can’t sit much higher than the knee. Usually pumps are worn, and they really shouldn’t be higher than 3 inches. For me, I found a classy black suit (tapered pants and an oversized blazer) and made the best of the situation.

The most important part of any dress code is just making sure you look appropriate. I’ve always been told that if you question something, it’s probably better to not wear it. If you need inspiration, Pinterest is a great place with a lot of outfit ideas. Once you research a little, dressing for dress codes can be kind of fun!

Want to keep up with Her Campus OSU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board and read our latest Tweets

Senior Marketing student at The Ohio State University with a minor in Fashion and Retail Studies