Dr. Michael Drake is the New President of OSU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

When searching for the next president of the Ohio State University, the search committee had to find a candidate that could manage the complexities of running such a large and esteemed university. Though initially the search committee was bogged down with candidates, they ended up settling on Dr. Drake after narrowing the search down to five highly qualified candidates.

Dr. Drake has been the chancellor of the University of California in Irvine since 2005. The University of California in Irvine is about half the size of OSU. He will be welcomed as the Ohio State University’s 15th president starting on June 30. Dr. Drake accepted the offer, accompanied by his wife, Brenda. Dr. Drake is also a champion of diversity, which is something that university officials would like to enhance.

The competition for president was intense, but they couldn’t have found a better next president than Dr. Michael V. Drake. He has experience in the many fields necessary to run OSU: fundraising, academics, athletics and medicine. In particular, Dr. Drake’s experience turning around Irvine’s medical center will be important due to the current construction of a $1 billion cancer hospital at OSU. Dr. Drake charmed the search committee with his experiences, his demeanor, and his ability to handle high-pressure situations with ease, which will come in handy during his time as president. His strength as a leader and vision for Ohio State will prevail over the many issues we will be facing in the upcoming years.

So, let’s hear it for our new President, Dr. Michael V. Drake! O-H … I-O