Calvin Klein Sparks Controversy with “Plus Size” Model Underwear Campaign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Calvin Klein recently launched a new campaign for their new underwear line, “Perfectly Fit”. While Calvin Klein is a household name, their name is not on everyone’s lips because of their clothing; instead it’s because of their model choice. Myla Dalbesio is the new face for CK, signed earlier this year, and the Wisconsin beauty has described her catapult into the spotlight as “surreal”. Myla, as beautiful as she is, is not gaining attention simply for being the face of the new line. Instead, her photos have gained America’s attention because she has been described as CK’s first “plus size” headliner. She stands at 5’11” and wears a size 10 in Women’s clothing. By health standards, Myla is in good health and physical fitness, so the Twitterverse has begged the question, why is she labeled as plus size?

The fashion industry notoriously promotes a waifish beauty standard, which deems anything over a size 6-8 as plus size. However, the average American woman wears a size 12-14, standing at 5’4”. The gap between industry standards and reality seems to have only increased over the years and people are finally talking about it. This model, Myla, is a healthy 27 year old with a proportionate body, so why is the industry telling us she is an exception?

The illumination of our beauty standard is necessary, and designers are beginning to realize this. Americans’ perspective lens on beauty and reality have become so disillusioned that they no longer mirror each other. More and more brands are employing “plus size” models as features in their regular campaigns. While many people are happy about this development, labeling these women based on their clothing size has enraged many. It’s true that we usually only see the likes of Kendall Jenner or Kate Moss working it in their “Calvins”, and it’s more than time to feature a mix of women who are prospective consumers. Contrary to the Victoria’s Secret controversy, CK’s new campaign on the “Perfect Fit” may result in being an upswing for the brand. By representing different sizes, CK is attempting to promote body image positivity, but that pesky “plus size” label still stands.

Is there a solution to this tension between the industry and “real” people? Should models be labeled as plus size?

Leave us a comment and let us know your thoughts!

Photo credit: Calvin Klein

OSU Strategic Communication-General Business. PRSSA. Her Campus. STEP. Clairee Belcher and Tina Fey are my spirit animals. kaitlinbradley.weebly.com https://twitter.com/KateBradley26 http://www.pinterest.com/speedbee2612/