This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

What is BLINK?

According to the BLINK website, “BLINK is one of the largest light, art and projection mapping events in the nation.” Held in downtown Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky, the festival spans more than 30 city blocks, turning the city into an interactive light experience for just four days. This is the second year Cincinnati has held the festival. It was held for the first time in 2017 and seems to follow a one every two year trend.

Installations and Projections

BLINK was a unique experience because all of downtown Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky become part of the art. More than 50 artists and muralists contributed their work to the festival, meaning there was something exciting at every turn. Here were some of my favorites:

“Neon Flux”– The #1 most Instagrammed mural in the city.

“Untitled” by Brave Berlin and Saya Woolfalk

“Bat Outta Hell” by Biceleta’s near Findlay Market

Thoughts on BLINK

Overall, I really enjoyed BLINK. I felt like I was being transported into the future with all the crazy projections. The festival is totally free, and I think it’s great for all ages. I recommend getting a hotel downtown and spending the night because most of the roads are blocked off making it nearly impossible to drive. While I enjoyed the festival, I felt that it was a little unorganized. Since it was only the second year, that was to be expected. Everything was spread out and one night was not enough time to see everything. If you want to see everything BLINK has to offer, I’d recommend spending a few nights there. BLINK also has an app that makes it much easier to navigate the festival. It’s a good idea to download it before going. Finally, if you are going with a big group, be prepared. It was so crowded that it was difficult to stay together. If possible, I recommend going with a small group. If you do have a big group, I think it would beneficial to wear bright colors or something that makes you stand out in a crowd.

I cannot wait to see how the festival grows in 2021, and I hope to see everyone there!

Rachel Rothstein is a Senior at The Ohio State University majoring in Strategic Communication and minoring in Psychology and Professional Writing. Rachel hopes to work at PR agency when she graduates. She is passionate about travel and wants to work in the travel and tourism industry someday! She even has her own travel blog (www.theblushingbrunetteblog.wordpress.com). When she's not dreaming about traveling, she enjoys reading, hanging out with her friends and binge-watching Netflix. Follow her on insta @rachrothstein.