Andrew Walker: From Fake Glasses to French

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

When you first walk into the Lane Avenue Residence Hall, odds are you will probably run into Andrew Walker.  This fluent in French, fake-glasses wearing, linguistics-majoring fellow is on the fast-track to graduate this spring, after only two years at OSU. Walker, from Jackson Township, OH, explained that he took 13 AP tests in high school and unexpectedly came into college with enough credit to finish in half the standard time.  When asked why he took that many AP tests and courses, he explained that it was the “hip” thing to do at his high school. 

So just what does he want to do with his linguistics degree?  Walker hopes to go to law school and is currently looking into adoption law.  Children have a close place in his heart, he said, and so it would be great to have the opportunity to unite families in that way.

In addition to his studies, Walker spends his time acting as a Resident Advisor (RA) at Lane Avenue Residence Hall. He also works as an assistant in the College of Arts and Sciences, where he gets to mingle with the department chairs and deans on a daily basis. According to Walker, being an RA is a very unique job. He gets to interact with a plethora of different people, learn about his residents and form relationships with them and also gets to make sure that “crazy happenings” don’t occur. He laughingly recalled a time when he found, curled up in a parking garage, a Miami of Ohio student that believed that he was on Miami’s campus! 

In his spare time (which doesn’t occur often), he likes to read and do yoga (he calls them “the boring stuff”). Contrary to what Walker may think, he is anything but boring. The newly 19-year-old has learned Arabic from YouTube videos, has recently gone vegan and went to Canada with the “Big Ten” study abroad program last summer. Armed with his cardigans and witty personality, Andrew Walker has truly made an impact on OSU’s campus.