All Hail President Nikki

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Meet Ohio State’s newest Campus Celeb! Nikki Kanakkanatt is the new and current president of the service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega. Besides taking the head position of a super cool organization, Nikki applies her great skills to many other events on and off campus. Read up on advice for taking on a leadership role or larger position within your own organization!

(Rep image: yours truly on the left, Campus Celeb Nikki on the right!)

HC: In addition to taking on the role of president in Alpha Phi Omega, what other organizations are you involved in?
NK:  Aside from Alpha Phi Omega and working as a Community Ambassador in the Off-Campus and Commuter Student Engagement (which is part of The Office of Student Life!), I am involved with a new student organization called ENCompass. This organization was started from an internship-style class I took last year within the College of Public Health. Basically, we are students who all had an interest in looking at the social determinants of health in a community. Through this organization, I hope we can make an impact on the Columbus community and strive for a more efficient health care system.

HC: What have been the most valuable bits of advice or information you’ve gotten from your widespread involvement?
NK: To get out of your comfort zone and at least TRY something different than what you are usually interested in! At Ohio State, we have so many different organizations, classes and jobs so it’s important to try the things that interest you–even if they’re not necessarily the things you would normally participate in.

HC: What advice do you have for those striving for a leadership role or larger position in their organization?
NK:  If you have even the slightest thought of going for a leadership position within your organization, you should just go for it! Many leadership positions require you to be flexible and willing to go the extra mile. If you have those two qualities, you’re very likely to be an effective leader for your organization.  

HC: Is there any organization or event that you believe everyone at Ohio State should be part of or experience?
NK:  Haha, well, I am a little biased, but Alpha Phi Omega! We are a co-ed service fraternity here at Ohio State. We do, on average, 10 service projects a week and these service projects vary! From helping out at Ronald McDonald House to Wheelchair Basketball to volunteering at marathons–we do it all. In addition to our outstanding service component, we also like to have fun! We have socials and formals yearly and make great efforts to do fun things like going to Crew games, going to SkyZone, or making buckeyes. Our chapter is one of the biggest in the nation and our brothers come from all different majors and cities, so it’s a very diverse group of people. Above all, we share a passion for doing service for others–however small or big that may be. You can be sure to find the brothers of Alpha Phi Omega-Alpha Iota Chapter committed to doing good for others.

Also! – Our service events are open to everyone, so even if you are not a brother of Alpha Phi Omega, come out and do some service work with us! We would love to meet you (and we hope you end up joining!).

HC: With graduation coming along quickly, what will you miss the most about Ohio State?
NK:  The passion! Whether it’s for sports, academics, student organizations or just for this school in general, I LOVE how committed each person is to their cause. That Buckeye spirit is hard to come by, but the people are just fantastic.

HC: Describe your experience at Ohio State in three words.
NK:  Enthusiasm, rewarding, the-best-damn-school-in-the-land.