6 Ways to Make Your Winter Break Worthwhile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

If I’m not mistaken, this is almost everyone’s favorite time of year. Although some days are colder than others, and we’re all still stressed about final exams, the fun is just about to begin! It’s time to relax and enjoy time with family and friends. This December, make the holiday season worthwhile. Below, I’ve included some of my favorite things to do when school isn’t a priority.

Make your gifts. If you’re a poor college student like me, the holidays can be a bit overwhelming, financially speaking. Instead of buying your family members sweaters and headphones, maybe look into knitting your mom a scarf or decorating a festive pillow. Get your creative juices flowing (Pinterest, anyone?) and save yourself from breaking the bank this holiday season.

Sleep a lot. As soon as you finish your last exam, what’s the first thing you want to do? Well if you and I are similar, you’ll want to sleep in. Nothing feels better than being able to sleep in, so just do it.

Eat lots, too. It’s not January 1st yet, which means you have several weeks until your clean eating begins. Enjoy the sweets that come with the Christmas season, because it only happens once a year. Also, people won’t judge you when you eat five cookies in a row like they normally would because they’re doing the same exact thing.

Watch Christmas movies. Like all of them. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, Elf, A Christmas Story, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and It’s a Wonderful Life are some of my all time favorites. Curl up by the fire and watch as many as you can.

Bake with family. If your mom asks you if you’d like to bake with her, don’t pass up the offer. Nothing puts you in the holiday spirit like jamming to Michael Buble’s Christmas album, icing cookies, and having good conversation.

Decorate excessively. Seriously, make your place look like Gimble’s toy store in Elf. Cut out snowflakes, make a gingerbread house, put up the Christmas tree, and help cover your house in lights. Tacky can be fun sometimes.

Catching up with high school friends and being somewhat productive is essential, too. Take this month to reorganize your room, snuggle your pets, and enjoy game nights with your family. Push through those exams – I know you can!

Megan is a senior at The Ohio State University and a contributing writer for Her Campus. She's majoring in journalism with an international studies minor. This past summer, she interned for 614 Media Group. This fall, she's a reporter for Ohio State's newspaper, The Lantern. She has dreams of moving to the west coast, becoming a writer, and owning far too many pugs.