This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

It’s the season of love! One of the most enjoyable parts about ringing in a new season is the onslaught of themed movies to treat yourself to. Lucky for us, filmmakers have given us a range of love-themed cinema, most notably our cherished rom-drams and rom-coms. Through scenic cinematography, captivating scores, and remarkable scripts, these films offer us both comedic lightheartedness and mystique. The real beauty of these genres lies in their ability to frame the concept of love from a variety of angles, ranging from grounding, companionship, empowerment, and even heartbreak. So, without further ado, here are six of my favorite movies for each type of love.

1. First Love: “The Notebook” (2004)
Yes, I know “The Notebook” is a bit of a cliché, but its eminent reputation serves it well. This cinematic treasure is a film adaptation of Nicholas Spark’s 1996 novel and will surely send its viewers on an emotional rollercoaster. The story centers around Noah and Ally, a young couple played by the timeless Ryan Gosling (whom you will hear from again in this article) and lovely Rachel McAdams. After spending a “summer beneath the trees”, the two lovers navigate a world filled with socioeconomic factors that try to keep them apart. Between the phenomenal acting, complex storylines, and plot twists, The Notebook is likely to remain a celebrated piece of cinema for years to come. This tear-jerker highlights the concept of fate and a love that is strong enough to withstand the tests of time.

2. A Love that Grounds: “La La Land” (2016)
If I could turn back time and watch any film for the first time again, “La La Land” would be my top choice. In bustling New York City, a desperate jazz pianist and a struggling actress meet under no-so-ideal circumstances. However, their disdain for each other quickly turns to the sweetest love and companionship. What makes this film special is that the love they share isn’t just the kind that centers around sensuality. Sebastian and Mia, played by Ryan Gosling (noticing a pattern in this article?) and Emma Stone, convey a love that is rooted in grounding, and though it may sound paradoxical, the protection of the individuality and solitude of your loved one. “La La Land” teaches viewers that to love someone means to support them in becoming the best version of themselves, pushing them to grow as individuals. Plus, who doesn’t love a musical?

3. A Faded Love: “Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind (2004)
You know a film is excellent when it’s on your mind for days, and for me, no rom-dram has done the job like “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind”. Kate Winslet stars alongside Jim Carrey to produce what one critic called, “a life changer”. This film is a bit more interpretive than those previously listed and often leaves its viewers in a state of philosophical pondering. So, if you’re looking for a new perspective to frame the concept of heartbreak, this film is for you. Clementine (Winslet) undergoes a procedure to erase the memories of her former boyfriend Joel (Carrey) from her mind after a painful breakup. Distraught that his former lover would go to such lengths, Joel undergoes the same procedure and slowly begins to forget the woman he once loved. This heart-wrenching film follows the two characters as they jump from one memory to the next, trying to withstand their inevitable memory loss. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind explores a myriad of themes centered around one central question: Who are we without our memories?

4. An Accepting Love: “The Age of Adaline” (2015)
As a gossip girl enthusiast, I will watch anything in which Blake Lively’s name appears. If you follow Lively’s work, then you know “The Age of Adaline” is certainly a testament to her elegance on screen. After a horrific car accident, Adaline Bowman miraculously ceases to age. Yes, you read that right, immortality. For the next several decades, Adaline lives a solitary existence, threatened by anyone who may get close enough to reveal her secret. However, her world is turned upside down after meeting Ellis Jones, who sweeps her off her feet and reminds her of the excitement of being in love. This fairy-tale-like film with a hint of mystery reminds its viewers of one universal truth regarding love: That everyone is deserving of it. Merely existing merits anyone the right to experience the joys of love.

5. An Unexpected Love: “Pride and Prejudice” (2005)
Love is nothing if not spontaneous. I’d like to believe that the universe has a way of bringing people together, even if on the surface, it seems that it would take a parallel universe. “Pride and Prejudice” was a film I stumbled upon during my 12th grade AP Literature class, and I thank my lucky stars that I was able to hear this beautiful, classic story. “Pride and Prejudice” follows the strong-willed Elizabeth Bennet (played by the lovely, Kira Knightley) who crosses paths with the arrogant and proud bachelor, Mr. Darcy (Matthew MacFadyen). Despite the sheer hostility they meet each other with, Mr. Darcy reluctantly finds himself falling in love with Elizabeth, much to the dismay of his socioeconomic standing. This iconic enemies-to-lovers follows the two on a journey of love and self-discovery, as they learn to overcome their unwavering pride and hasty prejudices towards each other.

6. An Empowering Love: “Legally Blonde” (2001)
When you think Reese Witherspoon, what iconic film comes to mind? If it isn’t “Legally Blonde”, stop what you’re doing and go plan a movie night! Legally Blonde follows Elle Woods, whose Harvard-bound boyfriend ends their relationship because she is “too blonde”. Elle, who will stop at no lengths to prove him wrong, sets her sights on applying to Harvard Law to win him back. After being accepted and exploring the field, Elle begins to develop a newfound passion for law. The film documents Elle’s journey as she works to prove to everyone, but most importantly, to herself, that she is capable of success. “Legally Blonde” is a lighthearted romantic comedy with a powerful message behind it. This film explores themes of perseverance, self-worth, and putting in the time to know and love yourself before giving that energy to anyone else.

Hawa is a first-year student at Ohio State University studying strategic communications. When she's not writing, you can find her reading a good book or in line at a movie theatre!