This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

I have officially been at college for a month. I’ve had my fair share of “freshman” moments from getting lost on campus twice a day to getting locked out of my dorm room at 2 a.m. After four weeks of attempting to figure things out, I’ve come to realize there are some misconceptions about life at an institution of higher level learning. Here’s just a fascinating few:

• Syllabus week: Does this even happen? Syllabus week for me was being handed a paper to live my entire life by within the first five minutes and then promptly being told to takes notes, do problems and generally learn for the other 50 minutes. This mystical week of ease and no stress is the Lochness Monster of college and I have yet to see it.

• School Size: We attend a university of 68,000 people, and yet you WILL see people you know EVERYWHERE. It will never cease to amaze me how often I see people I know (yet often can’t remember their names – the incessant struggle of the first couple weeks of school) around campus. You come here thinking you will wander around campus surrounded by complete strangers 24/7 but I promise you, at some point your floor mate will be right behind you in line for coffee.

• Walking: I considered myself to be in decent shape before I came to OSU. That was until I walked 40 miles within the first week and had to limp/crawl up stairs. Don’t underestimated the distance you will trek everyday. At home I pretty much just walked to and from my car. Also, flats are a questionable decision for long distance walking. I have blisters that still haven’t healed from that unfortunate day. Pro-tip: Bring Band-Aids and Nikes.

• Free time: One of the main differences of college everyone claims is managing all your “free time”. I have yet to see this infamous free time. The thing about college homework is even when you’re done you’re not actually done. There is still so much you could be doing. At all times.

• Dining Halls: As someone who’s mom cooks borderline gourmet meals everyday at home, the dining halls were my worst fear coming into college. I was picturing pink squishy chicken nuggets with a side of dry, brittle, freezer-burned French fries every day for a year. But Scott’s Traditions is anything but. While it is quite the hike for me, the chocolate milk itself is well worth it. You have options for days there. If you’re vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free or allergic to life you will not starve to death in college, they have a “Solution Station” that offers many many alternatives. There’s even a Mongolian grill on the second floor. (Yes, one of our dining halls is two stories. Go Bucks!)