15 Songs I’m Listening to This Spring!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

As we enter spring, it’s time for us to refresh and clean up our music playlists! The transition from the music you listen to in the winter to what you listen to in the spring is not always easy; the snow has stopped, the weather is warming up, flowers are beginning to bloom, and having your music reflect the feelings that come along with these changes is always lovely. If you’re stuck on what to listen to this spring, don’t fret! Here are 15 songs I’m currently obsessed with to mark the transition to springtime; if you have the time, I totally recommend giving them a listen!

1. “Les Fleurs” by Minnie Riperton

Riperton’s angelic voice and the intensifying instrumental transport you to another world, making for an enchanting listen! Not to mention, is there a better way to begin spring than with flowers?

2. “If Not For You” by George Harrison

Originally a love song Bob Dylan wrote to his wife at the time, the lyrics mention, “If not for you / Winter would have no spring”–how cute! The instrumental also has such a fresh and tranquil feel, making it even fitter for springtime!

3. “Cecilia” by Simon & Garfunkel

From the folk-rock group’s Bridge Over Troubled Water album, “Cecilia” has a fun and free feel. I personally think folk music was made for spring!

4. “The Feeling Is Right” by Anders Lewén, James King

I would describe this soul song as the epitome of a feel-good, upbeat song–plus, the brass instruments add to the fun feeling!

5. “drive ME crazy!” by Lil Yachty

Based on my usual music taste, I wouldn’t have expected to love a song by Lil Yachty so much, but the release of his psychedelic rock album Let’s Start Here changed my opinion of Yachty’s music; “drive ME crazy!” is a smooth, fun song that’s great for the emergence of spring!

6. “Garden (Say It Like Dat)” by SZA

SZA’s stunning vocals in this Ctrl song put you in another universe, contrasting with her lyrics, “You keep me down to Earth”; the title is also perfect with gardens beginning to bloom in the spring!

7. “Birds Dont Sing” by TV Girl

Although the lyrics of this song are a little harsh, in my opinion, they are contrasted and overpowered by the cheerful instruments TV Girl plays. In addition, the reference to birds in the song instinctively reminds me of springtime!

8. “Asc. Scorpio” by Oracle Sisters

From the beginning of this song, there’s such a lively, funky vibe; the gentle, chiming sounds in the background of the music give such a fresh feeling to the song!

9. “Love, of Money” by MAVI

The instruments in this song by MAVI are super relaxing, giving the song a feel-good vibe–if only it were longer than a minute!

10. “A Wolf Who Wears Sheeps Clothes” by Mac DeMarco

If I could put all of Mac DeMarco’s songs on this list, I totally would, but that list would be way too long; instead, I chose my favorite song by Mr. DeMarco! His harmonica playing itches the right part of my brain and gives the song a folk feel, making it ideal for springtime.

11. “Jackie and Wilson” by Hozier

Like Mac DeMarco, so many of Hozier’s songs are perfect for the beginning of spring–Hozier’s passionate vocals and guitar playing in “Jackie and Wilson” make anyone want to burst out singing on a bright spring day!

12. “Nellie” by Dr. Dog

So much of Dr. Dog’s music reminds me of bright, sunny mornings, and “Nellie” is no different. I would have to consider spring the bright, sunny morning of the seasons, making “Nellie” perfect for this new season!

13. “Real Love Baby” by Father John Misty

Misty’s soothing voice and smooth guitar in this song are ideal for a tranquil spring afternoon!

14. “Big Love Ahead” by Mon Rovîa

The bright sound of strumming strings in this song gives a soft, fresh, and hopeful feeling for the spring season ahead of us!

15. “Second Chances” by Gregory Alan Isakov

For me, this is the song for springtime: the radiant sounds of the guitar being strummed, the consistent references to nature in the lyrics, and the idea of “Second Chances.” In my opinion, spring is the season of second chances–life is born and flowers are blooming!

If you’re looking for more music this spring, here’s a Spotify playlist I made!

Originally from Cincinnati, Brooke Hoctor is in her second year at OSU studying Communication and Spanish. Her favorite things are romance books, romantic comedies, listening to music, doing word searches, spending time with friends and finding new coffee shops and food spots. She enjoys writing about entertainment, mental health, and relationships.