10 Albums from 2023 that You Should Give a Listen (or More)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Like many people, I find myself getting bored listening to the same curated playlists I’ve made and craving new music to listen to. If you are looking for some new music to listen to and are into alternative, indie, indie/alternative rock, folk, rap, R&B, jazz pop, soul, funk or pop music, you’ve come to the right place. Check out this list of ten albums from 2023 that you should totally listen to!

“Sunburn” by Dominic Fike

Out of all the albums that came out in 2023, “Sunburn” would have to be my absolute favorite. Although I hadn’t listened to a ton of Dominic Fike before this album, he did not disappoint with these summer hits. The variety in genres on this album keeps you on your toes, but it is always guaranteed to let you jam your heart out! Some honorable mentions on this album are “Ant Pile,” “Pasture Child” and “Frisky.”

“Unreal Earth” by Hozier

If you’ve been on the Hozier train since his “Hozier” album, “Unreal Earth” will surely delight your ears just as much as his previous releases. Unsurprisingly, Hozier came out with this album right in time for fall, which I would argue is the best time to listen to his music. What did surprise me about this album, though, is the slight pop and electronic mix present in a few of the tracks, and I was still very much into them. Still, it is not a Hozier album without some gentle and feel-good songs, some of the standouts being “First Time, “Anything But” and “Unknown / Nth.”

“Grapes Upon the Vine” by TV Girl

I have tickets for the TV Girl show in Columbus, and let me just say that the release of “Grapes Upon the Vine” only increased my excitement for the concert. Evoking the unique hypnotic pop style that TV Girl possesses, “Grapes Upon the Vine” has a more upbeat tone with choirs and, of course, darker lyrics. My favorite TV Girl album is “French Exit,” and I would go as far as to say that “Grapes Upon the Vine” is a close second behind it. I think the best tracks on the album would have to be “All The Way Through,” “The Night Time” and “Fire.”

“Call Me if You Get Lost: The Estate Sale” by Tyler, The Creator

Yes, I know “CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST” came out in 2021, but I’m going to defend myself with the new tracks added to “CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST: The Estate Sale” because they are some of my favorites from the whole album. I was already a Tyler, The Creator fan when I listened to “IGOR” and “Flower Boy,” but I love the completely different feel he gives each of his albums, especially the hot summer feel he gave to both the 2021 and 2023 releases of “CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST.” The first time I heard “DOGTOOTH” from the 2023 release, Tyler left me immediately wanting more from him, and then he came out with “HEAVEN TO ME, “BOYFRIEND, GIRLFRIEND” and “SORRY NOT SORRY,” which left me very satisfied. Some other great tracks on “CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST” are “HOT WIND BLOWS, “SWEET / I THOUGHT YOU WANTED TO DANCE” and “WILSHIRE.”

“NEVER ENOUGH” by Daniel Caesar

When I listened to “NEVER ENOUGH” for the first time, I didn’t know what to expect, even though I knew I already liked “Freudian” and “CASE STUDY 01.” As Daniel Caesar always does with his music, this album pulled through with R&B ballads and bops. Caesar stays consistent with his style, which I personally admire since I love knowing what to expect from music artists. Some of the best tracks on “NEVER ENOUGH” include “Homiesexual,” “Vince Van Gogh” and “Superpowers” (those three songs in a row really carry the album in my opinion).

“Bewitched” by Laufey

I originally discovered Laufey on TikTok, and I cannot emphasize enough how enchanting her vocals are! Although the genre of jazz has been on more of a decline over the years, I can confidently say that Laufey has revitalized it in her own way, and I am upset I did not start listening to her sooner! “Bewitched” is both a fun and contemplative album that puts a pop twist on jazz music, and I am so excited to have this to listen to during the fall. I honestly cannot wait for a holiday album of some sort by Laufey, but meanwhile, “Bewitched” has left me very content. The overall best tracks from the album are “California and Me,” “Promise” and “Misty.”

“Let’s Start Here” by Lil Yachty

Honestly, I would not have given this album a full listen without some influence from my inner circle, but I sure am glad I gave it a chance! I’ve always loved psychedelic rock, and Lil Yachty’s “Let’s Start Here.” album puts a really cool psychedelic twist onto rap that I was not prepared for. Although the journey isn’t exactly clear, Yachty most definitely takes you on a ride through a different universe in “Let’s Start Here.” In my opinion, the best songs on this album are “THE zone~,” “WE SAW THE SUN!” and “drive ME crazy!”

“Volcano” By Jungle

The first time I heard a song by Jungle was through a TikTok dance trend to a song on the “Volcano” album called “Back on 74.” As soon as I heard “Back on 74,” I told myself that I had to listen to some more of Jungle’s music, and that’s when I discovered their “Volcano” album. This is a neo-soul, dance and funk album that has hit after hit on it, and it is not something I would normally listen to, but I am so glad I checked out what Jungle has to offer. I think the best tracks on “Volcano” would have to be “Back on 74” (of course), “Problemz” and “Palm Trees.”

“Red Moon in Venus” by Kali Uchis

The first time I heard Kali Uchis’ “Isolation” album, I knew I had to listen to more of her alluring voice, and “Red Moon In Venus” gave me exactly that! Taking inspiration from its title, this album is otherworldly and has features from well-known artists Omar Apollo, Don Toliver and Summer Walker. If you’re thinking about giving this album a listen, I’d definitely recommend listening to “I Wish you Roses,” “All Mine” and “Moonlight” to get a hint of what else to expect from “Red Moon In Venus.”

“GUTS” by Olivia Rodrigo

Although “SOUR” takes the reigns over “GUTS” for me, Olivia Rodrigo’s 2023 album definitely still deserves some love! I am all over the angst and brashness from Rodrigo in this album, but I also appreciate the ruminative nature of it. The best tracks from “GUTS” for me are “love is embarrassing,” “bad idea right?” and “get him back!”

Originally from Cincinnati, Brooke Hoctor is in her second year at OSU studying Communication and Spanish. Her favorite things are romance books, romantic comedies, listening to music, doing word searches, spending time with friends and finding new coffee shops and food spots. She enjoys writing about entertainment, mental health, and relationships.