Why You NEED to Watch Big Little Lies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

There’s nothing better than watching the first episode of a new show, especially one loaded with mystery, drama, and a full house of powerful and beautiful women. Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman are two of the executive producers of the HBO mini series Big Little Lies. And their hardwork and dedication to their rolls really shows as their characters and the other main characters address some heavy issues. Some include sexual and domestic violence, self confidence, self defense, honesty, humility, and loyalty.

As many may know already, April is National Sexual Violence Awareness month. Among many other powerful messages in the show, Big Little Lies very openly addresses the issue of sexual and domestic violence, and how it may look like today, as well as how to get help. Not trying to be a spoiler of the show for anyone, but Kidman’s character Celeste is in a long term relationship with her husband who emotionally and physically abuses her. In the show she avoids getting help because she sees her fighting back as abuse to her husband, but everyone should know that fighting back in self defense is not abuse. You should never feel guilty fighting for your safety. The characters Celeste and her husband go to therapy, and Celeste ultimately confides in the therapist alone and tells of her abusive relationship. Talking to someone you can trust is a great first step to working through a problem. This show sheds a light on domestic and sexual violence and lets the audience know that it is ok to get help, and it is ok to remove yourself from a harmful relationship. Openly communicating with your close friends can be very eye opening, it could even help save someone’s life. Like in the show, domestic and sexual violence can be happening to any one of your close friends.

On a happier note, there are so many wonderful things you can learn from the show and each of the characters! As you watch the show you learn all the dirty secrets of the characters in Monterey you see how their idealized lives are not so unflawed after all. Even though their dreamy beach side mansions and array of luxury cars does make the sting of perfection a little more sweet. Nicole Kidman’s character Celeste has a hugely impactful role by shedding light on the issues of sexual violence and showing that a woman can have it all. The big executive job, the house, the kids, and no need for a husband (well at least not one who is abusive). Reese Witherspoon’s character Madeline shows everyone that even the most held together people make mistakes, and you should really just be honest about them. Otherwise it eats away at your conscious leading to a slight mental breakdown living with the guilt. Shailene Woodley’s character Jane, the new girl in town, shows us all that our past can shape us in more ways than one, and that being the new kid in town never gets any easier. Jane actively practices shooting her gun for if she runs into her attacker again, which is empowering and scary. Anyone should be able to educate themselves in self defense, but when this obsession causes insomnia and paranoia you should consider talking to a counselor or therapist to work through your past issues. Zoe Kravitz’s character Bonnie shows you that balance is important in life, to keep yourself active and add balance into others lives as well. Because being peacemaker is always a good idea right? Then there is Laura Dern’s character Renata, a very powerful woman in the town of Monterey in the show, and although her methods of justice are slightly questionable she does show that standing up for yourself or anyone else is always the way to go. Even if it does cause some harmless drama.

There are so many reasons to watch the show, the valuable life lessons and the amount of drama and tension in the show is gripping. Hard to look away and even harder to know there are only seven episodes. Anyone else want a round two of these ladies? I know I do! And even though HBO is not as easily available, it is so worth finding a friend or hacking into your parents HBO account to get your fix of this need to watch show.

Hi there! I'm glad you made it to my page! My name is Gillian George, and I am a junior/incoming senior at the University of Oregon. I am currently getting into the Advertising program of the Journalism Major and have a minor of business. Writing and photography are my two biggest passions in life, I have been taking portriats for  a few years now and I am trying to create a small business out of it! I love talking to people and helping people with any sort of situation. I grew up surrounded by my family who all work in the medical field, and I enjoy educating people on womens health so if you have any questions feel free to ask away! I also love food, traveling, and a good mystery television show or movie!
The official Her Campus Oregon account