When You Technically Don’t Have a Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Cue all things mistletoe, ornaments, snowmen and hot cocoa. Now that we’re finally into the season of giving, it’s my duty to tell you all how I feel about it. You see, my birthday falls on a very complicated day; December 25th.

“Oh my gosh, your birthday is on Christmas? That sucks!”

I know you might not have said it out loud-but you probably thought it. Usually, everyone tells me this and I’m like, “Well, when is your birthday? March 14th? That sucks.” You see the difference? Anyways, here are the top pros and cons of my birthday. I know we all have them.

PRO:

It’s a conversation starter. Not to mention, people remember it, so there’s no chance my parents would ever forget it. Sorry, Molly Ringwald. On top of the remembrance, it is like two giant days all mashed into 24 hours. So, I feel 2x the love on this day. I think the funny thing is that this year, I’m turning 21. So while many people go out to the bars the second the clock hits midnight- I’m not exactly sure if many bars will be open on Christmas Eve. Oh, well.

CON:

Ok. I could go on and on about the cons but the biggest one for me is…I feel bad. How funny is that? Like when people text me or when my friend comes to visit me every Christmas morning, I feel SO bad. Like everyone should be enjoying the day with their family and celebrating the wonderful holiday. Honestly, at times, I feel like my birthday gets in the way. Not to mention, I don’t really have a birthday because it gets overlooked by Santa and reindeer and all of that.

Ok. Wow-I didn’t mean for this article to get all sad and annoying. It’s just always something I’ve been asked. “So, do you like your birthday?” I mean no. I don’t. But I can’t change it, and if your birthday is on Christmas too, I feel your pain.

From me to you- Happy Holidays! And don’t forget to wish me a Happy Birthday!

The official Her Campus Oregon account