What You Can Do to Help Hurricane Sandy Survivors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

In late October 2012, Hurricane Sandy struck parts of the Caribbean, Mid-Atlantic, and Northeastern United States. It started its journey on October 22nd in Jamaica and made its way towards the States. It has affected at least 24 states, but the most severely damaged are New Jersey and New York. This tropical storm stopped trading on Wall Street for two days, cancelled 12,000 flights, and has left thousands without power and shelter. If you aren’t able to personally provide shelter to survivors of Hurricane Sandy, there are many ways to help! Recovery often lasts longer than media attention so help is always needed as devastated areas are on the road to recovery. Here’s how to help in the U.S.!

Donate:

Salvation Army: Donate $10 to the Salvation Army by texting “STORM” to 80888.

The Humane Society of the United States: Help pets that have been displaced and injured by the storm with a donation.

AmeriCares: Help families on the east coast with recovery efforts with a donation.

Give blood:

Red Cross: Many blood drives have been canceled due to the storm and the Red Cross has a need for blood donations. Visit www.redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS to schedule a blood donation or for more information.

Volunteer: Check out http://www.orvoad.org/ to see how the state of Oregon is helping with disaster relief.

Rebecca is a senior at the School of Journalism and Communication at the University of Oregon. She is currently studying photography and magazine journalism. Hailing from the mountain town of Bend, Oregon, Rebecca values being outdoors, staying active, and the beauty in simple things. She loves seeing what other people are exploring in their fashion and finding new trends. Rebecca is a lover of all things creative, spontaneous, stylish, and interesting.