We’ve Got Your Back: 5 Tips for Holiday Travels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

One of the best parts of the holiday season is being able to travel! Whether you’re flying to visit family or heading to sunnier weather for the break, traveling in December is a popular activity. With so many travelers rushing to get through security and on a plane, it’s important to take precautious measures to ensure safe and bearable travels. Below are some tips and tricks to make your holiday travels run as smoothly as possible.

1. Print your boarding pass at home and check on your flight before heading to the airport.

Nothing is worse than showing up to the airport on your travel day to see that the entire population of Oregon is also traveling on the same airline as you. Luckily, most airlines allow fliers to check in and print their boarding passes online. This will definitely cut down your line waiting time significantly!

2. Arrive early… Actually, arrive EARLIER than early.

Most people who usually fly out of PDX know that it’s a moderately sized airport with only five gates. During the holidays, many more travelers will be in the airport which unfortunately leads to crowding. I suggest arriving at the airport at least two hours before take off to ensure enough time to get through security, check out the shops, and last minute bathroom trips.

*Tip: PDX has two security checkpoints. Keep in mind that you can get to any gate through either of these checkpoints, so choose the one with the shortest line!

3. Avoid checking baggage.

If possible, take your luggage aboard the aircraft as a carry-on. This will allow you to bypass the luggage checking line, ensure your bag won’t get lost, and save yourself the (outrageous) cost of checked baggage.

*If you must check a bag, keep essentials in your carry-on.

During the holiday season, airlines are more likely to lose your luggage or send it to the wrong place. Keeping essentials in your carry-on bag (phone charger, toothbrush, one change of clothes, etc.) will come in handy if your bag gets lost or your connecting flight gets delayed or canceled.

4. Expect the unexpected.

It’s no secret that some flights are bound to get canceled or delayed. Whether it’s caused by a sudden snowstorm or a technical difficulty, being prepared for it will allow you to have control of the situation. No one wants to spend an extra night in an airport terminal, but keep in mind that it is a possibility. Be sure to pack a good book or movie in case you need to occupy time!

5. Pay it forward.

Let’s all vow to keep the holiday spirit in the back of our minds while traveling this year. Trade your aisle seat to someone who needs it. Buy a coffee for the frazzled mother traveling with six kids under the age of four. Crack a smile to the TSA agents – imagine how many impolite people they see every day! Remember, collegiettes, it’s up to us to add sparkle to any situation!

Safe travels.

University of Oregon student taking everything as inspiration.