Ways to Support the Black Lives Matter Movement if You Can’t Attend a Protest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Beginning in May 2020, the Black Lives Matter Movement saw rapid growth after the murder of George Floyd by Minneapolis police officers. Across the United States, protests drew crowds of thousands of people in almost every major city for weeks and some have been continuing into the fall. However, a number of obstacles prevent some of us from marching in the streets with a large crowd, especially in the time of COVID-19. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to support the movement without ever leaving home. 

Educate Yourself 

The first step in supporting any movement should always be research. Learning about the history of police brutality and anti-Black racism will allow you to understand the urgency of the movement while equipping you with the facts to have conversations about the topic with others. Especially in the era of social media, it’s difficult to know what’s true about current events. Many young people consume the most news on unreliable platforms like Twitter and TikTok, which allow for misinformation to reach vast amounts of users. This makes it even more important to do independent research. Understanding complicated topics like systemic racism and defunding the police will give you a solid foundation before taking action as a supporter. Research is especially important to non-Black supporters of the movement, because Black Americans should not hold the burden of educating everyone themselves. 

Donate and Sign Petitions 

If you’re able to, donate money to causes and organizations that support the movement’s message. If you can’t afford to donate money, sign some petitions to change policies that harm Black Americans.  A quick Google search will show you a number of organizations you can donate to and petitions to sign. Community restoration organizations work to decrease crime in Black and Brown communities in a constructive way by supporting after school programs, homeless support programs, community gardens and more. 

Have Conversations 

Increased public awareness of the realities of systemic racism has played a huge role in the Black Lives Matter movement’s growth this year. Educating others on these topics is also a big part of being an activist. Informing the people in your family and social circles about these difficult topics is just another way to spread awareness without having to protest on the streets. If someone you know is perpetuating racist ideologies or falsehoods, have a conversation with them about it. Spreading the truth is extremely important in the age of social media, and it can be as easy as having a conversation at the dinner table. 

Join an On-Campus Organization 

Meeting other people who value social change is a great way to learn more about the movement and exchange ideas. There are plenty of clubs and organizations at the University of Oregon that are dedicated to working toward eradicating systemic racism. For example, Students for Criminal Justice, a new club this term, works to educate others about the racial injustices embedded in our prison and policing systems. Check out the UO Division of Student Life website and find an organization that interests you. As of now, most clubs and organizations at UO are holding virtual meetings, making this a safe way to connect with other students who share the same value for social change. 

Vote!

This is one of the most important ways to support the Black Lives Matter movement and fight systemic racism. Politicians and measures on the 2020 ballot have the power to make real change. Officials that take racism and police brutality seriously may implement important changes in police training and community funding, which is a solid start for racial equality. Be sure to register and carefully read up on the measures on your ballot. 

Eryn McGuire

Oregon '21

Hi! I'm Eryn and I'm going into my senior year at UO as a Journalism major with a minor in Sociology. I'm originally from Petaluma, CA, just north of San Francisco. In my free time, I love hiking, drinking coffee, finding new brunch spots and watching live music. I'm so excited to be a part of this community of creative and hardworking women!
The official Her Campus Oregon account