This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

As February approaches single girls everywhere come together in spirit to dread the frightful Valentine’s Day – the one day each year that makes girls believe they may actually marry a pint of Ben & Jerry’s. Commercials for jewelry start airing weeks prior and stores are already stocked with heart shaped boxes of chocolate, stuffed animals, and boxes of Valentine cards. It’s as if the holiday’s inescapable lovey-dovey products are taunting you every time you walk in a store to pick up some groceries.

Well, collegiettes, let me ease your loneliness with saying that there are millions of girls who feel the same way. So unless you intend to put an ad on Craigslist with the title “Need Valentine – Must Be Clean and Buy Me Chocolate” it’s time to figure out how you’re going to celebrate without a boyfriend.

Let’s think here, what is a Valentine specifically? Just someone who buys us flowers and maybe takes us to dinner and a movie? (Probably some obnoxious action movie that you don’t even want to see, might I add.) This seems like something we can take into our own hands. Head over to your local grocery store, pick up some candy (I recommend Sour Patch Watermelon or Hershey’s Cookies and Cream), and then pick up a movie from Redbox on your way out. Easy enough, right?

This is just one example of a quick fix to the Valentine’s Day lonely girl anxiety. In case you’re not a candy or movie person, I’ve complied a list of things to do on Valentine’s Day besides be sad that your single.

1. Call your dad – My dad always said “All boys are bad except for dad.” They know how to make you feel better when it comes to boys.

2. Go home for the weekend – If you live within driving distance, head home on Friday the 14th and spend some quality time with your family.

3. Buy a puppy – Little to no explaining necessary for this one; they are the best companions.

4. Get a Mani/Pedi – Just the relaxation every girl needs.

5. Watch reality TV – Particularly shows with dreadful relationships that make you glad you’re single.

6. Go SHOPPING – Nothing cheers a girl up better than new clothes, makeup, or purses!

7. DO NOT go on Instagram – Seeing 100 pictures of your friend’s sweet Valentine’s Day festivities is NOT what you need in your life.

8. Listen to Beyoncé – She’ll teach you about girl power.

9.  Buy a box of children’s Valentine’s Day cards and hand them out to people on the street – Remember there are tons of single people out there too, and who wouldn’t want a Valentine?!

10. Get together with your other single friends – Get some wine, magazines, and nail polish and have a typical girly sleepover to celebrate being young women! 

Whatever you plan to do on Valentine’s Day, try your best to stay positive. Nothing has a greater chain effect than moping around all day!

University of Oregon student taking everything as inspiration.
The official Her Campus Oregon account