Using Pinterest to Revamp Your Space

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

I have been a pin-aholic since last May when a girl in my residence hall introduced it to me during finals week; a distracting, but brilliant idea. If you haven’t already acquainted yourself with Pinterest.com, it is an online pin board where you pin your favorite fashion trends, food, art, quotes… almost anything you can think of. Pinterest is not only a great way to relieve yourself from everyday stress, you can also use the site as a guide to personalizing your dorm room, apartment, or house.

This year was my first year living off campus and I really wanted to make my apartment room reflect my personality, so I turned to Pinterest for inspiration. I found tons of easy crafts that I actually did in order to make my room what I wanted it to be. I found creative paintings that I took ideas from, designed my own pin boards, and made picture frames. Pinterest has ideas for everyone.

Do you want a creative way to store jewelry? You’ll find numerous different ideas. Are you into artsy mirrors? Pinterest has cheap ideas you can do yourself to open up your room. How about a feminine touch to add a little bit of pizazz to your room? There are so many fun ways to use scraps of items you might already have and turn them into treasures that you will love and your friends will want. The next time you are thinking about buying a piece of decor to makeover your room, turn to Pinterest first. You will save money making it yourself and feel proud whenever you look at your new piece of art.

A couple of examples of Pinspiration:

This is hanging on my wall above my bed in my apartment right now. I bought the canvases and paint at the bookstore for under $20.  This project did take a while, but it was a relaxing stress reliever. 

This is a perfect way to store your jewelry in a feminine and unique way.  Go to an antique store in town and find a vintage frame. Hang tacks or hooks into the wall and voila!

FInd another vintage frame and paint the background with chalkboard paint. Write a quote as the creator of this photograph did or draw a picture.

Putting mirrors inside of an object like a tennis racket opens up your room in a fun way. Take your old wooden rackets to a glass store and have them customize a mirror to fit. This project could get pricey, so you may want to nix the mirror idea and use the rackets as a creative piece of art instead.

Visit www.pinterest.com for more pinspiration to revamp your space!

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter