“UO Show Us What U See” and Win a $100 Gift Card

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

EUGENE, Ore. (May 10,2012) – Many of the activities that UO students enjoy when the weather gets warmer can be harmful to Eugene water quality and the life that relies on it. With spring term upon us we spend much more time outdoors. Activities range from walking the dog, partying on the lawn, barbecuing and of course, floating down the river.

The City of Eugene Stormwater Program is sponsoring a campus-wide contest asking UO students to share signs of stormwater pollution and prevention through photos and videos.

The photo contest features two categories, pollution and prevention. Pollution refers to anything that affects our water sources, from litter to oil runoff. Prevention refers to anything or anyone preventing pollution from occurring. Both categories will have a 1st prize of a $100 gift card and a 2nd place prize of a $65 gift card.

The video contest is to be a 30-60 second video focusing on stormwater pollution, how it affects us or ways to prevent it. There will be one prize of a $100 gift card. Additionally, one random drawing winner will receive a $50 gift card.

The contest begins Facebook event on Monday, May 21 with the submission deadline set for Sunday, June 3. Submissions will be emailed to eugenestormwater@gmail.com with the category title in the subject line. Photos will then be uploaded to the City of Eugene Stormwater Facebook page, http://on.fb.me/K21LoZ. Winners will be voted on by the City of Eugene Stormwater Program staff and announced on Friday, June 8.

About stormwater:
Stormwater is water that flows across land– and it’s not limited to what falls from the sky. It includes water that runs off any hard surface, from roads to roofs, or even sun- baked fields. In Eugene, this “runoff” is not treated before it enters the storm drain system and flows directly to nearby waterways. That means any pollution collected by the runoff is carried into local streams, creeks and rivers, affecting water quality for plants, wildlife and people in the community — in short, stormwater impacts all life.

In east Eugene, storm drains empty into the Millrace and the Willamette River. In west Eugene, stormwater empties into Amazon Creek and eventually makes its way to Fern Ridge Reservoir and the Willamette River.

Stormwater pollution sources are:
Fluids from your car
Food grease and cooking oils that leak from trash cans
Herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers from yards
Pet waste that isn’t cleaned up
Chemicals for cleaning and maintenance
Trash and litter on streets and sidewalks
Loose dirt from landscaping projects

Ways to prevent stormwater pollution.
Wash your car in a designated area, such as a car wash.
Keep your car’s engine in good condition to prevent fluid leakage.
Throw your trash away to prevent litter.
Replace leaky trashcans to stop oil runoff.
Plant trees and ground cover to prevent erosion.
Clean up after your pet.

More information can be found at www.happyrivers.org.

Contact:
Dana Nicholson
Account Supervisor at Allen Hall Public Relations
925-360-1595
dnichols@uoregon.edu

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter