Uo Jam Squad: Piper Criscola

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Age: 20

Year: Junior

Major/Minor: Public Relations Major with a Communicaitons and Digital Arts Minor

Hometown: I’m from Sherwood, Oregon. It’s a pretty small town South of Portland. It’s kind of like the show Gilmore Girls, everyone knows everything and they have small town things like movie nights and Festivals, but it is growing! I mean, we were the Bowmen–archers–I grew up in teh Sherwood Forest based on Robin Hood, gotta love it!

HCO: Tell me about dance and your experience with the UO Jam Squad–Oregon’s hip-hop dance team: I have been dancing since I was three, mainly studio trained. I was on a performing company for three years and then did dance team in high school for two years. My experience is in tap, ballet, jazz, hip-hop, lyrical, contemporary, modern, salsa, musical theater, street jazz and pointe. I have been on Jam Squad for three years and started my freshman year. It’s a great way for me to dance and perform still, but it’s not as big of a commitment as the dance team or studio would be!

HCO: What is your favorite style of dance? Tap has always been my favorite. It was one of the first classes I took as I kid, and it was fun making as much noise as I could. It’s stuck with me and I find myself tapping under my desk or at the dinner table! I didn’t start doing hip-hop until 8th grade, but it is a close second!

HCO: What’s your favorite dance memory? I have a lot of good memories from dance! It’s funny, I can remember almost every dance routine I have done, but when it comes to school it’s like my brain doesn’t work! But two memories that really stand out are:  My first experience dancing at a Blazer game and my studio half time performances–I think I was fourteen at my first game. This year with Jam Squad will be my 6th Blazer performance. I will also never forget dancing at my first U of O with Jam Squad!

HCO: Other than Jam Squad, what other activities and hobbies take up your time? This year I am helping out with Dance Marathon. I am also involved with YoungLIfe on campus as well as my church Ekklesia and the college group. But I also really like Pinterest and doing projects I find there. I like to think of myself as creative and crafty!

HCO: Finish this sentence, In another life I was..: In another life I was a redneck…or Beyonce. I really like country music and the whole culture of the south, cowboy boots, flannels, and fishing. I really want to go hunting and talk in a southern accent and drink iced tea on the river! And let’s be real, who doesn’t want to be Beyonce? 

HCO:If you could cross one thing off your bucket list right now, what would it be and why? If I wasn’t in school I would be dancing in Disneyland’s parades. It has always been at the top of my list! I love Disneyland and think it woul dbe fun to go to work there!

HCO: What excites you  the most about winter break? I am really excited to go back to work. I have one of the best jobs that I really enjoy. I am an Event Coordinator for a company that owns six radio stations and I do events for them. But I am really excited to be home, relax, and be with my family and not have to worry about school work.

HCO: What are you plans for after college? As an event coordinator, I have been able to work in the entertainment business. I would like to work in the promotions department or do publicity for a sports team. I like behind the scenes work, and I think I want to stick with that. I can see myself in the Portland are, probably close to my hometown!

Rebecca is a senior at the School of Journalism and Communication at the University of Oregon. She is currently studying photography and magazine journalism. Hailing from the mountain town of Bend, Oregon, Rebecca values being outdoors, staying active, and the beauty in simple things. She loves seeing what other people are exploring in their fashion and finding new trends. Rebecca is a lover of all things creative, spontaneous, stylish, and interesting.