University of Oregon: Game Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

They say that football games here at the University of Oregon are one of a kind. The game day culture and spirit is at an all time high for Duck fans here at Oregon, and we have been rated one of the best tailgating schools in the country. I am a sophomore at University of Oregon and I know full and well what game day means for students; tailgate parties, planning to meet up with friends, and coordinating the perfect game day outfit start happening days in advance. Rain or shine us Duck fans will be there to cheer on our team. It never rains in Autzen stadium, but let me tell you, it is ten times more fun when the weather is nice.

Last saturday was our first spring football game to kick off the start of a new season here at the University of Oregon, and it was a blast. The weather was sunny and very warm, in fact most of my friends including myself all left the game with a nice sunburn. I’m talking the not so cute kind of sunburn, a bright red lobster color with the whole farmers tan and t-shirt lines situation going on. But on the way to the game, the atmosphere is so carefree and fun. You walk past multiple parties that are outside in the streets full of music and people enjoying themselves. Once you get to “the walk to autzen,” which is a paved trail that goes over the Willamette River and through a part of a forest. When you come out of the forest it’s like seeing the emerald city. The green trees all around and the large green and yellow “O” on the Autzen stadium is the first thing you see. The trail on the walk to autzen is full of people of all ages who are just as excited as you are to be going to the game.

This spring game was special, the ticket entry was not the normal student ID card. Each person attending the game was asked to bring nonperishable food items to donate to the Food for Lane County. After you make your donation, you and all your friends run up the steps to the entrance of the stadium. Under the covered part of the stadium there places to get food, which me and my friends treated ourselves to a game day hotdog and iced coffee from Dutch Bros. Then it is off to the student section! In the midst of trying not to fall down the steps and find your friends in the crowd, you can hear the roaring crowd cheering and singing our fight song making you feel so happy and at home with everyone.

Even though it was just our team playing against each other, the spring game was extra special this year because it was the first game led by our new football coach. Willie Taggart is our new football coach who transferred here from University of South Florida last year. Football fan or not, the games here at UO are bound to be a great time. The day was filled with sunshine, friends, party atmosphere, and a good experience watching our football team grow.

Hi there! I'm glad you made it to my page! My name is Gillian George, and I am a junior/incoming senior at the University of Oregon. I am currently getting into the Advertising program of the Journalism Major and have a minor of business. Writing and photography are my two biggest passions in life, I have been taking portriats for  a few years now and I am trying to create a small business out of it! I love talking to people and helping people with any sort of situation. I grew up surrounded by my family who all work in the medical field, and I enjoy educating people on womens health so if you have any questions feel free to ask away! I also love food, traveling, and a good mystery television show or movie!
The official Her Campus Oregon account