Studying Abroad: What to Consider

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

With Fall term already blowing past, you’ve probably gotten a lot of emails about information sessions here and there. In college, there are so many travel opportunities offered to you, and everyone you know who studied abroad will tell you to do it or you’ll probably regret not going for the rest of your life. But how do you know what is the best fit for you?

This past summer I went to Ghana for a study abroad internship with the Journalism school. It was probably one of the best things that has happened to me since coming here, but I didn’t just close my eyes and stick my finger somewhere on the globe. There were several factors to consider, and here are some of them:

What does the program offer to you?

Does it fulfill any requirements to your major or minor? Is there something special in the program that is unique to any other study abroad program? Going to a foreign country whether it be for a term or a year is a long time and as much as you want to just have fun, it’s important that there is an academic advantage for you. If you’re going to London just to meet some British boys and Instagram a picture of Big Ben, maybe you should just travel to London without the studying part. I chose Ghana because it not only fulfilled one of my school requirements, but it also gave me internship credit (something I could put on my resume).

Is there financial aid available?

Studying abroad isn’t cheap and living expenses in certain countries are pricey. You should do some research and see if there are ways to make your trip affordable. Often, there are scholarships offered for that program specifically. 

What do you want to leave with afterwards?

Do you want to make new friends? There are a lot of programs that set you up with groups of students and sometimes they will be your buds for life. In my program in Ghana, I stayed in a house with fifteen other people. Even though sometimes it felt like an episode of the Real World, I now consider them some of my closest friends. Living in a place with no hot water and rolling blackouts will do that to you sometimes.

How adventurous are you?

It’s really exciting if you’re willing to hike through a rainforest or live in a house that doesn’t have Wi-Fi, but it’s also okay if you want to study somewhere safe and familiar. You should do what is comfortable for you. Whether it’s Milan or Nairobi, it’s totally up to you.

What kind of food is offered?

No, seriously, food is an important factor! Are you willing to get out of your comfort zone and try the escargot? If you don’t think you’re going to enjoy the local cuisine, you’re not going to have a lot of fun eating instant mac and cheese and ramen every day. When I went to Ghana, I had never had West African food in my life, but there were a lot of dishes that were amazing and I honestly really miss.

These are just a few things to keep in mind, but it’s important to know that even if the country you’re traveling to might not have some comforts you’re used to at home, I can assure you that it’ll be a life changing experience.

Fly gal with her nails done.