Stuck in Eugene for Spring Break? 10 Things to Do Around Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

So, maybe you’re not going to Cabo or Vegas for Spring Break. Whether you’re stuck in Eugene for work or can’t afford a trip home, don’t worry; there are actually a number of things to do in and around the city. Now that you’ve got the time, you have the opportunity to explore Eugene outside the UO campus.

1) Relax at Cougar (Terwilliger) Hot Springs

Who needs hot tubs when you’ve got natural hot springs, right? Cougar Springs is one of the most popular spots for Eugene residents, located about 50 miles east of the city. The springs are located just a short hike of around 0.5 miles from the parking lot, and the five pools range from 2-3 feet in depth, 3-12 feet in width, and can be as hot as 112°! The springs are open until dusk and available for a $6 day use/forest permit. BUT, just a warning; clothing is optional, and from what I’ve heard from other students, there are a lot of old people. Awkward! You can go to http://oregonhotsprings.immunenet.com/cougar.htm for driving directions.

2) Check out Cascades Raptor Center

No, not velociraptors, but raptors referring to birds of prey! The Cascades Raptor Center houses many species of owls, hawks, falcons, eagles, corvids (i.e. crows, magpies, ravens), and other predatory birds. The center works to rehabilitate and release wild birds which are injured, orphaned, or sick. It also focuses a lot on public education and increasing awareness for wildlife. Located in South Eugene to the side of Spencer’s Butte, the center is open this March at 10 am-4 pm Tuesday-Sunday, and hosts handler talks at 1 pm Saturdays and Sundays. Admission is $7. Visit http://eraptors.org/ for more information.

3) Hang with friends at Camp Putt Miniature Golf Course

Reopening for Spring Break is Camp Putt, located on Franklin Blvd between Eugene and Springfield. This mini golf adventure park spans two acres with two different 18-hole courses. The admission fee is $6 or $5.25 if you go before 1 pm, and a family of four (maybe that would work for a group of four?) is only $20. Right next door, you can also get delicious pizza from Roaring Rapids Pizza Company and ride their 1930’s era carousel. What’s not to love?

4) A day at the beach

This isn’t California or Florence, Italy, but Florence, Oregon does have a beautiful beach and scenic sand dunes which span its coastline. Drive just 60 miles west of Eugene and you’ll reach the quaint town of Florence, neighboring the Siuslaw River. Florence has a number of hiking trails, local lakes, and parks throughout the coastal community, and the city is also complete with two museums, an airport, an old port, a historic walkable Old Town District, and several recreational activities such as surfing (if you can handle the cold Pacific!), fishing, dune buggy riding, golf, kayaking, biking, and windsurfing. Also be sure to visit the Sea Lion Caves and Heceta Head Lighthouse. Maybe a great date idea?

5) Catch a movie

If you’re trying to catch a flick on a budget, try venturing to the Gateway Mall in Springfield for a film at Cinema 12, only $1.50 for a weekday matinee and $1.75 for the evening. If you’re trying to see some quality, alternative cinema, check out the Bijou Cinemas on 13th Avenue. This quirky art theater shows everything from documentaries to independent thrillers to cult classics. Some are film festival features, and other nights are 21+ because of alcohol served (a con for minors, but a definite plus for others).

[pagebreak]

6) Be cultured at Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art

Some of you maybe familiar with this art museum right on campus but maybe haven’t visited yet, and others may not have heard of it at all! The Jordan Schnitzer museum has a huge variety of exhibits, a café, and a really cool gift shop. The museum features exhibits from ancient through contemporary Japanese art to classical impressionist works from Europe. Currently the main exhibit is the West of Center, featuring experimental counterculture from America 1967-1977. There are videos, manuscripts, photography, sketches, and even an inflatable reconstructed dome that you can sit inside, reminiscent of many designs from communes during the period. Focuses include psychedelic art, feminist empowerment, and transgender culture; not your typical art exhibit, right? The museum is free for all students and if you become a member (which is also free), you also receive a 10% discount on the gift shop and café.

7) Window shop at Fifth Street Public Market

Possibly downtown Eugene’s most scenic block, the Fifth Street Public Market offers the entertainment of local musicians and artists as you walk to explore the wide selection of artisan shops, boutiques, restaurants, and galleries. It is located on 5th Ave. between Pearl and High. Retail stores are open 10 am-7 pm Monday-Saturday and 11 am-5 pm Sunday. Cafes are open 8 am-7 pm Monday-Saturday and 8 am-5 pm Sunday.

8) Hang out with animals at the Greenhill Humane Society

Love animals but can’t adopt? The Greenhill Human Society has plenty of cats and dogs that need love, attention, and playtime from students like you! The society takes in stray and abandoned cats and dogs that are then spayed/neutered, cared for, vaccinated, and medicated if injured or ill. All of this is achievable from the help of donations, and if you want to help out, they additionally have volunteer opportunities. All of the pets have profiles on the Greenhill Humane Society website, so take a trip down to the shelter and make their day. There visiting hours are 11 am-6 pm Friday-Tuesday, and they are also partnered with the 1st Avenue Shelter, open for visiting 10 am-6 pm Tuesday-Friday and 10 am-5:30 on Saturday. Greenhill is also currently housing a two rabbits named Honey and Mimi, a chinchilla named Hibiscus, and a guinea pig named Cashew. SO CUTE!

9) Go to a random concert

Eugene is known for its incredibly eclectic music scene, and WOW Hall is a great example. This small, intimate venue hosts concerts ranging from reggae to heavy drum and bass/dubstep shows (like the Dirtyphonics playing March 30) to soft alternative rock (like former Girls lead singer, Christopher Owens playing March 31). They are also known to feature many smaller, local musicians, so be sure to check out some emerging artists at this venue. If you’re a comedy fan, comedian Hannibal Buress is also performing March 29. Be sure to check up the events calendar on Eugene’s venues, and if you go to a random show, be sure to check out the music before you go to make sure it’s your cup of tea!

10) Belay or boulder at Crux Rock Climbing Gym

Whether you’ve been an avid rock climber at the rec center or have only tried it once or twice (or never before), the Crux Rock Climbing Gym locating on West 3rd Ave has your fix for rock climbing, for beginners and the advanced, with bouldering and rope stations. The gym spans 9,000 square feet with a variety of walls, angles, and caves, with equipment rentals at $5. For $45, you can get a 1-1/2 hour introductory lesson during 10-noon on Saturdays, complete with gear and a one-week pass. If you love it, you can buy a discounted student one-month, three-month, or annual pass. If you’re only planning on trying it out, try going during their Student Night every Friday 6-9 pm, if you want to round up some girlfriends, go to their Women’s Night, 6:30-8:30 Monday nights. Both events are only $10 including gear! And if you get hungry, grab some Huli Huli teriyaki chicken at Ron’s Hawaiian BBQ, located inside the gym! You might remember and miss Ron’s from their recently moved location on 13th and Alder. Don’t worry, they’re still around and carrying their student discount deals!

So don’t feel down about being stuck in Eugene for the break. It’s not Cancun, but you can still have fun! Take this opportunity to get out and try something new!

Heather is a senior at the University of Oregon, majoring in advertising. An aspiring copywriter, her dream job would be screenwriting for TV, but for the meantime she works as an office assistant, ad director for Envision magazine, freelance graphic designer, and her favorite, campus correspondent at Her Campus Oregon. She hails from Lake Oswego, Oregon, and loves the quirky side of Oregon: its unique people, unpredictable weather, and amazing music scene. She's a cat lover, avid black coffee drinker, and TV and movie addict.
The official Her Campus Oregon account