This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Although Halloween parties and gatherings may look different this year, that doesn’t mean we can’t bring out our inner child including creative costumes, treat making, pumpkin carving, scary movie-watching, spooky decorating and maybe even giving your neighbors a little boo. This year we are bringing back the wholesome Halloween that we might have lost touch with as we have grown up. Whereas we wish we could all go trick-or-treating and get free candy, it may not be age appropriate or social distancing appropriate. But it’s a perfect opportunity to create an at-home trick-or-treating-esque. Here are some ideas about how to celebrate Halloween in the comfort of your own home but not missing out on any of the classic holiday festivities. 

Add “spooky” touches to your home 

Whether it’s a few pumpkins on your porch, a fall-smelling candle, cobwebs in your trees outside or a sign above your kitchen, adding subtle accents can instantly get you in the holiday spirits. Some of my favorite fall home decor ornaments include:

Vanilla Pumpkin Scented Candle from Trader Joes

“Beware” Halloween Novelty String Lights

Set of 8 Mini Decorative Pumpkins

Ditch the old costume 

Although 2020 has had its ups and downs, there has been a lot of great content to imitate. This means wearing the absurd, amusing costume that you have had in mind these past few months is an absolute go. This is the perfect time to experiment with the weird, wild and witty. Take a walk down quarantine memory road and pick a costume that helped you laugh, cry or smile during this time. I’m talking Tiger King Joe Exotic, Hamilton Cast, Harry Styles in the “Watermelon Sugar” music video, Cardi B and Meg Thee Stallion in the “WAP” music video, Lil Nas X at the 2020 Grammys, Nurse Milred Ratched, The Fab 5 From Queer Eye… just make sure when you are picking your costume to be aware of how you are presenting yourself and the person, character or item you are wearing. Respecting cultures and people is so vital. Educate others about the importance of picking a costume that avoids cultural appropriation at all costs. 

May the best pumpkin win 

The classic Jack-o-lantern smile is a pumpkin carving go-to, but why not spice it up this year and throw in a little competition. Grab your pumpkin, carving set and roomates, family or friends on Zoom for the ultimate Halloween challenge. The rules and guidelines are all up to you: set a time limit, crown a winner or make a carving theme! If you’re unsure of where to start, look at a few of these ideas to get a leg up on your competitors… Mason Jar Pumpkin, Home Address Pumpkin, Constellation Jack-o-Lantern, Terrazzo Pumpkin, Pumpkin Terrarium.

Fright Night of Flicks

As if Halloween wasn’t eerie enough, adding in scary films can add an extra fright. Movies such as Get Out, A Quiet Place, Halloween, The Conjuring, Paranormal Activity and Poltergeist are perfect for staying in, locking your doors and not forgetting to check under your bed before going to sleep. However, if you’re not wanting nightmares, the family Halloween movies may be more up your alley. These include Hocus Pocus, Halloweentown, Casper, Addams Family, Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters. Check out Freeform’s 31 Day’s of Halloween Schedule if you’re wanting a full month of the Halloween classics. 

Give your neighbors a “boo”

As a kid, I remember my house getting “booed” where a neighbor or friend would leave a Halloween bucket filled with candy and treats. In return, we were supposed to “boo” someone else. Grab some fun Halloween candy, stickers, a card or anything to make your neighbor, friend or even coworker a smile. Pick a time when the person you are booing is not at their house or office and leave the perfect “boo”. Just because we can’t see as many people in close contact, doesn’t mean we can’t tell those around us that we are thinking about them. 

As we grown up, it’s easy to lose the spirit that we once had about holidays or forget how enjoyable small celebrations can be. Going into this Halloween and holiday season, remember how you felt as a child with your family or friends, getting excited for the upcoming festivities. Although we are experiencing a confusing, unpredictable time period, pivoting those uncertainities into aspects that we can control in our lives can alleviate stress and overall apprehension for the future. I hope your Halloweens are filled with fall aroma, amazingly decorated pumpkins, award-winning costumes, spooky movies and of course safe. 

Hi everyone and welcome to my page! My name is Anniston Ward, I am a junior at the University of Oregon and my hometown is Bend, Oregon. I am double majoring in Public Relations and Spanish and minoring in Sports Business. I love to travel, spend time with my friends and family, take my Yorkshire Terrier, Willie, on runs, cook and try new foods, write and drink lots of coffee. I'm so excited to be a part of the HerCampus team to express myself through writing and hopefully inspire other women. I believe it's so important for women our age to speak their minds, share their ideas, empower each other and just be ourselves. I hope you enjoy my page and as always... go ducks!
The official Her Campus Oregon account