This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

This is the first post in the Skincare 101 Series, where we break down just what every product out there does, their formulations and some starting suggestions.

I am that girl: my skincare routine consists of several steps and layers of products in a specific order to give me the best results. But in this era of “layered skincare” and 10-step Korean beauty routines, it can be daunting to dive in that deep so quickly. That’s where we come in. Each week, we’ll be breaking down skincare step-by-step so you can feel confident in creating the best routine for your needs.

Let’s start from the beginning: cleansing.

There’s a reason this step is first. Removing built-up dirt, oils, bacteria, makeup and SPF is crucial in preventing acne, as well as helping your skin regenerate faster. There are a few ways to go about cleansing your skin, each with its own benefits. Let’s hop in!

Oil/solid oil cleansers: These are the all-stars in stubborn makeup removal. Oil breaks down everything from your STUNNA lip paint to your blackest waterproof mascara like nothing else. Additionally, it’s a gentler way to cleanse the skin as it doesn’t strip away too much of your naturally produced oils that are important for maintaining healthy skin. And to all my oily/acne-prone skin types, have no fear. Oil cleansers are actually good for you to try because they are so gentle. Plus, a lot of us get acne from having dry or dehydrated skin. Oil cleansers help protect that essential moisture in the skin from being lifted out.

Neutrogena Ultra-Light Cleansing Oil, $8

Burt’s Bees Facial Cleansing Oil, $13.49

Clinique Take The Day Off cleansing balm, $29.50

Boscia Makeup-Breakup Cool Cleansing Oil, $32.00

Gel cleansers: A sensitive skin-type’s best friend. Gel cleansers, especially when kept in the refrigerator, are intensely calming and cooling. The gentle formula helps calm redness and keep it at bay because as your skin cools, the capillaries in your skin tighten, so less blood flow occurs, meaning less redness.

Neutrogena Hydroboost Hydrating Cleansing Gel, $8.99

Basis Cleaner Clean Face Wash, $7.19

Kate Somerville Detox Daily Cleanser, $36.00

Tatcha The Deep Cleanse Exfoliating Cleanser, $36.00

Water-based cleansers: These take several forms including bars, creams and ‘waters.’ These cleansers incorporate water either as a key ingredient (think micellar waters) or as the catalyst that jumpstarts the effects of the cleanser (a powder-to-liquid formula or a facial cleansing bar that lathers when combined with water). These work across skin types and are great for your no-makeup days.

Simple Skincare Water Boost Micellar Water, $6.79

Innisfree Green Tea Cleansing Foam, $9.35

Fresh Soy Face Cleanser, $15.00-$38.00

Tatcha The Rice Polish Foaming Enzyme Powder, $65.00

Abigail Winn

Oregon '20

As a fourth-year photojournalism and media studies double major, I'm always looking for opportunities to diversify my writing and visual work. I'm very passionate about personal wellness of the body, mind and heart and I'm excited to be able to produce work on the subject. When I'm not studying, working or mentoring, I'm knee-deep in skincare trends, shopping for photography gear or singing my heart out in choir.
The official Her Campus Oregon account