priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash

RLCG Matt: Unofficial on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and us ladies never know what to expect on this day of love. Whether a collegiette has been in a steady relationship, or is just at the blossoming stages of one, maneuvering gifts, a plan for the evening, or if we should forsee anything at all can leave a girl stumped. Our Real Life College Guy decodes one sticky situation below!

“I have been seeing someone for a little while now (around a month and a half) but we haven’t made it official or anything yet. I’m not sure whether I should anticipate plans on Valentine’s, or get him a gift. Is it too soon? If not, what kind of a gift says I like you–but doesn’t scare him away? How much to guys really expect out of this holiday?”

Let’s be honest, guys know when Valentine’s Day rolls around, it’s the real deal. If you’re going on two months and there’s a clear mutual interest (even if nothing’s official) then a little gift is a great way to show you appreciate someone. Try and steer clear of gifts that point to love and commitment, such as heart shaped chocolates or sappy stuffed animals. Instead, get gifts that match the level of your relationship. If it’s not super serious, stick with something a little more fun, that pokes fun at Valentine’s Day but includes spending time with you, like a ridiculously un-romantic movie (can’t go wrong with Zombieland) and a bottle of hopelessly classless wine. If it’s a little more serious and moving towards a relationship, get him something that says you care by focusing on both of you together without saying, “Let’s talk about our future!” such as a memento from an inside joke, a card and a photo of you two from the first time you guys got embarrassingly drunk together, or a delicious homemade dessert under the condition that you two have to eat them together. 

Regardless of the gift you choose to give, remember that everybody loves compliments. A thoughtful card that says what you like about the other person is a the perfect addition to any gift, to help set the tone for what level of interest you wish to show. Every relationship is different, so just try and keep the gifts at the level of interest that you have both shown. The best part about a less serious, personal gift is that you can control the significance of your gift based on how he acts. If he acts overwhelmed (or worse, didn’t get you anything), you can make it clear that your gift is simply out of appreciation of getting to know them over the past few months, not a “hint” at something further. If you feel like he went above and beyond your gift or is disappointed, emphasize your gift as a personal, thoughtful way to spend time with him because of his importance to you. Remember to tell him, either in writing or just in talking, that you are happy to be spending time with him, even if it’s not a serious relationship.

Rebecca is a senior at the School of Journalism and Communication at the University of Oregon. She is currently studying photography and magazine journalism. Hailing from the mountain town of Bend, Oregon, Rebecca values being outdoors, staying active, and the beauty in simple things. She loves seeing what other people are exploring in their fashion and finding new trends. Rebecca is a lover of all things creative, spontaneous, stylish, and interesting.