Potentially Awkward Moments To Consider Before Getting Inked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Summer is coming up and with all the free time, money to spare, and sunny weather provoking us to make spontaneous decisions, it happens to be a popular time to get inked. Although tattoos are fun and a great way to express your individuality, there are a few things that need to be considered before you head over to the parlor to get that tattoo you’ve been wanting. Personally, I have two tattoos that I’m generally happy with. I do, however, wish that I would’ve thought about these potentially important future encounters prior to getting my bigger one. To state the obvious, tattoos are extremely permanent, so don’t be lazy. Do your research and plan ahead because if you don’t, you’re putting yourself at risk for one of these awkward situations occurring in your future.

1. Being unfairly rejected from your dream job.

It’s been said a thousand times, but it’s true nonetheless. How much would it suck to be turned down the job because you have an unprofessional-looking tattoo on your wrist? Arguably, it’s a pretty unfair judgment call, but that won’t stop it from happening.

2. Unromantic wedding pictures.

We’re all ladies; don’t try to deny that you have your wedding planned out already. Thanks to Pinterest, it’s a little hard not to. In this situation, I want you to imagine yourself on the beach, in the forest, in a church, or wherever else you plan to take your glamorous wedding photo shoot. That lustful, contemplative look in your eye as you casually glance over your shoulder in your vintage Vera Wang wedding gown will not be quite as stunning as you dreamt it to be if you have a massive tattoo on your back. This is only assuming the tattoo clashes with your wedding ensemble and that your dress is backless; however, all I’m saying is, think ahead!

3. Awkward pregnancy announcement photo shoot.

Maybe you don’t want kids or don’t think it will be a big deal at that point, but it’s another thing to consider, along with pregnancy in general, in terms of the placement of your tattoo. Having it anywhere near your abdomen could lead to disfiguration and stretching of the tattoo, and awkward pregnancy announcement cards.

4. Disturbing your grandchildren at family pool parties.

You’re probably not going to be wearing a string bikini when you’re a grandma. If you do in fact plan on doing that, you might have some other issues that need to be addressed. However, for the sake of your grandchildren, try to avoid any tattoos that will be awkward at that family pool party forty years from now.

5. Foreign people laughing and pointing at you.

If you’re getting something in a foreign language, make sure it’s correct. Google translator is your archenemy in this situation. Find someone trustworthy who speaks the language, and ask him or her first. Avoid the awkward future encounter with people who fluently speak the language laughing and pointing at you in public.

6. Uncomfortable dinner with your extremely conservative future in-laws.

It’s bound to happen. Your open mindedness is probably what’s going to land you that sensitive prince charming one day. But just because he loves your free spirit, doesn’t mean his parents will. All in all, you never know whom you’re going to have to impress in the future, and having symbols or words visibly tattooed on your body might possibly tick someone off or start a conversation you would rather avoid.

Hopefully I haven’t totally scared you away from the possibility of getting inked. Small, pretty, and personally meaningful tattoos in inconspicuous places can never really go wrong; it’s just an important thing that many women overlook because they want to be spontaneous or are just simply impatient. If I could give a few last words of advice, they would have to be to make sure you get a good artist, (try to get a recommendation from a friend) and try to find some way of temporarily putting it on your body first, just to get a feel of how it would look with different outfits. Most importantly, make sure that you’re still going to appreciate it thirty years from now. Being as young as we are, we have a tendency to go through style phases and then look back five years later wondering what the hell we were thinking, so personal significance is essential.

Hey! I'm Andréa, a pre-journalism major at the University of Oregon. I love writing, music, fashion and doing adventurous things with my friends. My favorite color is purple and I'm hopelessly addicted to sushi, Pinterest, and Law & Order re-runs.
The official Her Campus Oregon account