This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

I was cleaning my dishes after eating a bowl of oatmeal and my roommates started talking. One of them kept repeating, “this is as good as it gets,” and my other roommate kept saying, “I don’t want to talk about it.” I was sitting there confused, so I asked my roommate what she meant. She stated that we are at the peak of our life and right here is the best that it is going to get. I sat there in confusion and thought about it. What do you mean this is the best it is going to get? That was something that was stuck in my head for the rest of the week. 

What? How? I started thinking if this is the peak of my life than why the heck would I spend my time being a full-time student. I love school and love learning so much, but if this is the peak of my life, I would not be spending my time doing other things. Not just because we are in the middle of a pandemic and I do not want the best of my life to be in quarantine. 

My roommate made some valid points that this is the time where we have the least amount of responsibility and the most amount of freedom in our life. After this, the student loans start to kick in; thank you, University of Oregon. But, this can not be it. 

I love college so much. I love the people I have met, the growth I have done and the experiences that I have had. I would never take back or change any part of my college experience. But if this is the peak, what is the point of living life after? It sounds a little dark, but it is true. Why would you would I spend so much time after college if I already lived the best part of my life at 20 years old?  Why would I spend my time in school all day and my weekends in dirty frat house basements? 

You see, I do not see this time as a peak of my life, I see this as a moment. I never want to hit a peak of my life. I do not want to look back and think that a moment in the past was the best that it was ever going to get for me. I never want to have that mindset. I always want to be appreciative of the phase that I am in a while being excited about what is to come. Our priorities and the things going on in our lives are going to change. Things are going to get harder, but there is still so much life to look forward to and be excited about. This is a piece,e not a peak. There is so much life to live, do not let this moment be your peak.

Alyssa Arcos

Oregon '21

Hi! I am Alyssa, my friends call me lyss. I was born and raised in Southern California and go to Disneyland way too often. I am a junior at the University of Oregon majoring in public relations and advertising. I am really passionate about educating others on sexual assault and how to have healthy and consensual relationships. I love all things beauty, fashion, entertainment and travel. I am a VS PINK campus representative. I hope to one day make a difference and inspire young girls, I don't know how but I know I will. I love getting to express my thoughts and share my life experiences.
The official Her Campus Oregon account