Outfits Speak Louder than Words

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Whether you’re looking to build your résumé, appease your parents, or pay the rent, the time will come when you have to apply for a job. So you send your résumé, fill out the application, and receive good news. You got the interview, but now what? Even if you look great on paper, you, like many others, may get that little pit in your stomach upon hearing the word, “interview.” In preparation you’ve thought about what questions you’ll be asked and have rehearsed your answers in the mirror a handful of times. The only thing left is deciding what to wear. No matter how flawlessly you deliver your responses in the conversation, if you don’t look the part, you most likely won’t get hired.

The days of the fundamental interview ensemble are gone. That black blazer and skirt combination will not always be the best choice. Here are some tips to know how to look the part for the job you want:

Know your potential employer’s image: Interviewing for a marketing position at a large firm calls for a different outfit than a position at a local retail store. Do some research on the company’s brand. This is an unspoken way to show your interviewer you have done your homework and are interested in the company.

Don’t be afraid to show your style: Interview attire doesn’t have to be “boring” attire. Subtly hint at your personality through accessories that aren’t overbearing or overwhelming. Wear your favorite classy scarf, or watch or trendy flats. It’s easier to be yourself when you look yourself.

Be comfortable: If you don’t wear a pencil skirt, heels and button-up blouse every day, you most likely won’t feel comfortable and relaxed in that outfit. Find your own version of the same outfit; maybe that means trousers, flats, and a cardigan. If you must dress in a way that is foreign to you, be sure to wear the outfit before your interview to get used to it.

When you dress your best you feel your best and will have the confidence to crush your interview and leave them wanting more.

Feeling like your interview closet is empty? According to Nordstrom Hiring Manager, Lindsey Daniels, here are the 5 must-haves for working girls:

• White Blouse
  • Dress jacket or blazer (black or color)
  • Pair of trousers (skinny or flared)
  • Colorful blouse or top
  • Skirt (knee-length)