This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

I have recently been down a deep drive of Netflix’s best documentary films. Being stuck at home, I find that I have a lot of free time to binge television. In this free time, I have watched every show under the sun. While I am usually not an avid documentary watcher, I have found a new niche inside of myself. I am going to give you five recommendations and transparent reviews that are actually helpful.

1. Seaspiracy

This film tackles and debunks the myths of the fishing industry. Throughout the film, the viewers learn the hard truths regarding where our fish is coming from, how our fish is being caught, and the truth behind labels and ocean pollution. The viewer learns that most of our ocean pollution is not from plastic straws but rather from fishing nets. The film debunks the rumors surrounding pollution, fish farming, and the idea of “bycatch.” I highly recommend this film to become educated on what you are consuming and help better stop ocean pollution and overfishing.

1. Operation Varsity Blues: The College Admissions Scandal

This film reenacts the enormous college admissions scandal from a few years back. It includes the honest conversations had between Rick Singer- the mastermind behind the scandal- and his famous clients, including actress Lori Loughlin. The documentary provides an authentic look inside to what advantage money gives you in the United States and just how unequal the United States really is.

1. Athlete A

This documentary is quite dark. The film talks about a sexual abuser, Larry Nasser. Nasser became famous a few years back when USA gymnasts came forward about the sexual abuse they suffered during their time with USA Gymnastics. This documentary follows the trial as well as interviews survivors about their personal experiences with Nasser. This film really opens the viewers’ eyes to how power plays a big role in silencing.

1. Abducted in Plain Sight

For those who enjoy the true crime genre, this film is right up your alley. It follows the story of a 12-year-old girl in Idaho who was abducted and brainwashed by her adult neighbor. The victim herself tells the story through her eyes and her family’s eyes. While this film may be a sensitive topic, I highly recommend those who can stand it. If you enjoyed the Ted Bundy tapes, then as a viewer, you will enjoy this documentary.

1. American Murder: The Family Next Door

This film follows the story of the Colorado-based family murder. A few years back, father and husband Christopher Watts killed his two daughters and wife in order to start a new life. The film includes actual footage and interviews of Watts and his family. Again, this is a tough film to watch, but it is very riveting and exciting to see how the truth slowly unfolds through the suspect’s eyes.

Here are my five Netflix documentary recommendations! They are all a wide variety of genres but will all have you at the edge of your seat.

Hello my name is Michelle Lundahl and I am studying Public Relations and Legal Studies at the University of Oregon. I love to write and share my random thoughts and opinions, so I thought Her Campus would be the perfect platform. I hope that the readers are able to gain something from my writing each week, and to overall enjoy! Thank you for reading!
The official Her Campus Oregon account