Must Have Mustard: The Latest Campus Fashion Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

It’s everywhere. You’ve seen it in the library, on 13th, in Lillis, at Safeway. A girl can’t go outside without seeing this year’s best color at least once: mustard. Oh yes, ladies. The color is popping up everywhere, from fashion blogs to department stores in all shapes and sizes.

“It’s unique,” says Jane, a History major, modeling her thick, knit, and gorgeous goldenrod scarf. “I feel like it looks different on everyone. It’s so chic but feels so… grandma-ish?”

While it made appearances throughout time, mustard was not always a popular choice. However, it has recently become a luxurious pop of color on campus for winter-time and now lends itself beautifully to rich textures like knits, tweeds, cords and leather. Mustard makes for the perfect color for accessories or for a get-noticed basic piece. It’s a hint of quirk without looking flamboyant while still remaining special – like a vintage college club sweater.

Wanna try out the color?  Here are a few ways to rock it this season:

1. Wear it in  a loose-knit, cozy cardigan or sweater with the now-popular and always-classic navy in a skirt or cords.

2 . Combining mustard with gray is a more modern approach. Try scarves or tights with charcoal wool, distressed leather jackets, or light heather-gray cardigans for a bold accent.

3. Army green is a bit more risky, but looks cleverly androgynous with a thick knit mustard scarf over a dark, military-inspired jacket.  

On a side note, if you’re wanting to show some school spirit, mustard can be the perfect way to go.
What are your favorite ways to wear this color? Let us know in the comments!

Photo Credit
http://pinterest.com/pin/157555686933326510/

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter