Career

Money Diaries: College Student Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

I am addicted to reading Refinery29’s Money Diaries. Essentially, they’re a peek into the weekly spending of one person. I love these because I’m a naturally nosy person and they’re a great way to keep you thinking about the money you’re spending. I have only seen one Money Diary about a college student, so I thought it would be fun to make my own money diary about my own spending as a college student at the University of Oregon. This is completely inspired by Refinery 29’s Money Diaries series.

Name: Taylor

Occupation: Student

School: The University of Oregon

Age: 20

Day One:

9AM- Struggled to get out of bed this morning for my 10am class, but made it. Thankfully. I make myself a latte and grab a bread bun from my fridge before heading to class. First day back to school after a long weekend is rough.

1PM- Done with class! I’m free! All of my classes end at 1 or 2pm and it is such a great feeling to be done so early in the day. I head straight home and eat leftover pasta that my mom made for me and I brought on my trip home this past weekend.

2PM- Head to Trader Joes with my friend to do some major grocery shopping since I haven’t been in a while. I stock up on a lot of items because it’s my week to cook dinner for my friends! $18.52

4PM- I went home and took a nap. I’ve been tired.

5PM- Dragged myself out of bed and to a meeting on campus. I hate leaving my bed when it’s all warm and cozy and being forced to walk outside in the dark and cold! But overall, productive meeting for a food publication I am a part of.

7PM- I try to stay on campus and be productive but I am not having it. I head home and make myself some leftovers for dinner and do homework for the rest of the night.

Daily Total: $18.52

Day Two:

9AM- I wake up earlier than normal because I have a lot of things to do today. I make a coffee and make avocado toast for breakfast and head to campus to try and grind before my 10am. I meet up with my friend on campus and we talk more than actually doing work…

1PM- Finally done! I have a lot to do today and don’t have any time beforehand to cook so I head home to prep everything for tonight’s dinner and clean my apartment.

4PM- I head back to campus to check out a camera for the news team I’m apart of and meet with my partner to strategize for our story.

6PM- We film and interview people for our story at an event on campus. I mainly take notes because this is my first time doing this!

8PM- I finished filming and headed straight to a camera workshop. It’s been a long day.

9PM- I get driven home by my cousin, bless his heart, because I’m carrying all of this camera gear I’ll need to return tomorrow. I rush in and start to cook everything else that needs to be heated up for dinner. My friends come over and we have an amazing time catching up and eating dinner together. I love times like these!

12AM- I head to bed forgetting to do an assignment and submit an article. Whoops. You win some and you lose some!

Daily Total: $0

Day Three:

9AM- The normal wake up call. My best friend drives me to campus because I’m carrying all the heavy camera equipment! So nice.

11:30AM- Today is my easy day, I only have one class! I get some work done on campus then head home.

1PM- My best friend is going on a trip to Seattle today and asked me to drop her off at the train station. I pick her and her friend up from class and drive them in a rush. They missed the first one and had to get the next one! Stressful.

2PM- I head to a local coffee shop to try to get some reading done for class. Since the coffee shop is downtown, I pay for parking and got a macchiato. $4

4PM- I stop by Safeway on my way home and grab some groceries I’ve been needing. I use the Safeway app for coupons and it’s a lifesaver. I grab a bunch of essentials and vegetables. $9

5PM- I head to a workout class at the rec center and buy an unlimited class pass for the term. $35

6PM- I stay on campus to do some more homework.

9PM- I head home and give up.

12AM- I head to bed after doing work. I have a busy day tomorrow.

Daily Total: $48

Day Four:

6:30AM- I wake up extra early to finish up some homework and submit it before my 8am class.

8AM- Off to classes, I have 3 of them starting from 8am till 1pm.

1PM- Finally free for the weekend!

2PM- I meet up with one of my producers and she teaches me how to edit my story assignment.

3PM- I head home! I’m finally free! I ask one of my friends to grab dinner with me.

5PM- We end up at a nearby sushi place, and I eat a lot. I’ve missed sushi so much. $10.50

7PM- I’m home and start watching a movie on Amazon Prime while making myself some guacamole. I begin cleaning and doing other random things around the apartment to avoid doing my homework.

9PM- I was supposed to go to a birthday party tonight but my friends couldn’t end up going so I was feeling extra bored and restless. I text my cousin if I can come over and hang, and since she lives across the street it’s so conveinent!

2:30AM- I ended up hanging out till late and had a great time! I fell straight to sleep once I hit my bed.

Daily Total: $10.50

Day Five:

9AM- Wake up. A lazy Saturday. I stay on my phone for way too long and then get out of bed to take a shower.

11AM- I decide to make a smoothie and remembered my friend saying she wanted acai bowls. I make a smoothie for myself and assemble a smoothie bowl for her. I take it with me to her apartment since she lives next door and we spend time hanging out and catching up!

12PM- We decide to head to a coffee shop to get some work done. I get a latte. I also pitch in for parking. $5.75

3PM- She has to go pick someone up so I head home and chill out by myself and make lunch.

5PM- My other friend comes over and we hang out eating snacks. We then head over to our other friend’s apartment and we decide to have a shopping night.

6PM- I got sweatpants for only $4 and a white shirt for 58 cents at Old Navy. I love Old Navy. $4.58

7PM- I found a beautiful orange ruffle dress at Nordstrom Rack that I had to have. Still debating if I’m keeping it though. $21

8PM- Trader Joes is right at the same area so we decide to do some light grocery shopping. I grab more stuff that I forgot to get. $11.52

Daily Total: $42.85

Day Six:

10AM- Finally able to sleep in a bit. I relax and go on my phone watching youtube videos.

1PM- I head to campus for a meeting for Her Campus! And try to do some more work since I have a paper due tonight.

3PM- I head home and get ready to pick my friend up from the train station. My phone had not been working all day so I had to figure out directions on my own to the station without any GPS. It was a struggle but I did it!

4PM- I head home and start working on my paper. I’m essentially working on it for the whole afternoon and evening.

8PM- I eat and chat on the phone with my friend for a bit. My other friend also comes over for a bit asking me if I want to go anywhere. Sadly- I’m still perfecting the paper!

11PM- I submit the paper and head to sleep.

Daily Total: $0

Day Seven:

9AM- I could not get out of bed this morning. Until 9:30 practically. And I have class at 10. I run to class.

1PM- Freedom! At last. I head home and chill out there trying to get my life together with cooking and cleaning. I hate doing dishes.

5PM- I ended up taking a nap and head back on campus to meet up with some friends before my meeting at 6pm.

7PM- After my meeting I head straight home and work on some things.

8PM- My friend comes over to hang out and decides she wants Mcdonalds- so we naturally head there. I get a hamburger because I’m not very hungry. $1

12AM- Off to bed!

Daily Total: $1

Weekly Total: $120.87

Taylor To

Oregon '20

Journalism student at the University of Oregon. Passionate about good deals, television, food, style, and coffee.
The official Her Campus Oregon account