Life Changing Ways to Be More Green in 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

2018 was a year of growth for me. Specifically, one thing that stood out to me was the smaller steps I took towards being more sustainable this past year. These are only some of the slight changes I’ve made in my lifestyle. I am in no means perfect when it comes to sustainability and being more conservative with my wastefulness. I have a long ways to go, and I’m still learning and adjusting as time goes on. Here are some of my tips to be more green this year:

1. Tote bags​

I am a lover of tote bags. I cannot get enough of them. It’s a good thing that I love magazines and tote bags because my favorite thing is renewing your subscription and getting a free bag! I didn’t start becoming a tote bag feen until 2018 for some reason- I had an epiphany that they were really cute and suddenly I needed them all. My personal favorite that I own is a mini tote. I personally designed the tote with MUJI’s stamps at their store in LA.

​Ever since moving to Eugene, grocery shopping here has made me especially mindful to always carry a tote bag with me. It always makes me so happy when I head to the store and remember to take one with me. Another favorite purchase of mine has been a net bag, a type of grocery bag typically associated with being the type that you use to grab fresh produce and a baguette from the market while living in France. Which is technically true. I purchased mine on Amazon. While these look tiny, they surprisingly stretch and are so incredibly durable! It’s pictured above.

2. Long walks

​I personally love taking long walks, and living in a small college town makes everything so easily accessible by walking or taking the bus. I started walking a ton more this past year and I’m serious when I say that walking and being outside is good for my soul. I love to listen to music and explore or catch up with a friend on the phone. There is so much to find and see in the world and as cheesy as it is, you never really know what you’ll discover. I stumbled upon a coffee shop that I never knew existed! 

3. Reusable straws

​Since I’m a typical college student, I’m normally hyped up on caffeine. I always make my own coffee from home. During fall term I typically opt for an iced coffee. I didn’t own any plastic straws at my place so I would take them from the coffee shops on campus. I quickly began to accumulate a bunch of plastic straws until one day my best friend suggested I buy some metal straws. So that’s exactly what I did. And I haven’t looked back yet. Now, I use metal straws all the time at home and out and on the go. I always keep straws in my purse, backpack or car in case I go grab a coffee.

​Buying metal straws was such an easy way to make a huge difference in only my plastic straw use. Now it makes me even more motivated to get reusable straws as gifts for others and eliminate plastic straws for good!

4. Thrift shopping

​I never understood the appeal of thrift shopping until this year. I have always been a seriously frugal shopper and found thrifted clothes to be on the expensive side for not even being new. Flash forward years later and I’m addicted and want to go all the time.

​What helped me change my perspective on thrift shopping was my first trip to the Goodwill Outlet, essentially a huge building filled with bins of things from local Goodwills in the area you look through and pay by the pound. A pound costs around only $2. For a pound of clothing. ​I had so much fun. I found an Anthropologie jumpsuit, vintage Nike shirt, vintage Ralph Lauren dress, and many more things. Pretty soon I started frequenting regular thrift stores and watching thrifting youtubers, which exposed me to a whole other world of an unsatisfiable thirst for thrifted finds. One of my favorite Instagram accounts is @thriftedthis, which features thrifted outfits and finds! 

Taylor To

Oregon '20

Journalism student at the University of Oregon. Passionate about good deals, television, food, style, and coffee.
The official Her Campus Oregon account