Kelsey’s 4-Week Paleo Diet Challenge: Week 4

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Well…I did it. I survived an entire month of eating completely clean. With a couple mishaps and a few more energy drinks than I should have, my stomach has not been in contact with any gluten, dairy, legumes, or processed foods for quite some time now.

And despite not having had any Ben & Jerry’s for the last month (which everyone knows is happiness in a container), I feel fantastic. I never realized how much my diet affected the way I feel. I had more energy, it was easier to wake up in the morning, and I no longer had “food comas” or post-sugar mood swings.

Plus, my skin is like…glowing. I always thought glowing skin was some weird pregnancy myth, but now that my skin’s especially clear and healthy looking, I can see it’s a real thing! Not to mention, I’ve noticed a lot more strength and endurance at the gym. And my clothes look better because I somehow managed to lose weight eating nothing but fat and protein. Craziness.

Eating Paleo also opened my eyes to the fact that I really like to cook. I was always too lazy to cook before, but since it was a contest between laziness and filling my grumbly stomach, food always won. And I realized I didn’t mind putting in a few extra minutes to make sure I was eating healthy. That said, having to cook the majority of my meals was really time-consuming and inconvenient sometimes, like if I was in a hurry or too hungry to cook (such a vicious cycle).

It paid off in the aspect that my appetite mostly went away, though. I can now go for up to five or six hours without eating and not turn into a low-blood-sugared, grumpy, lethargic zombie. And if I was craving something, it was what my body needed. I’ll never forget the first time I actually craved (wait for it)….green beans. I felt like the healthiest eater in the universe. I also found healthy alternatives to satisfy my cravings. If I was craving sugar, then I would eat fruit, and the (healthier) sugar from the fruit would take care of those Cake Batter ice cream yearnings with fewer side effects — calorie guilt, dairy stomachaches — than actually eating the ice cream.

I’m going to continue with this diet, but not quite as strictly as I was this last month. I’m really bad at wanting the things I can’t have, so knowing that I couldn’t have a lot of things was torturous for my poor brain…and taste buds. I got random cravings for soda, which I haven’t drank in years…but now that it was off limits, hellllloo Dr. Pepper!

That being said, I learned that willpower really is a muscle — the more you use it, the easier things get. I surprised myself by saying no to foods I could never previously turn down, and the more I did it, the more it became a habit, until ordering dessert at dinner was barely even tempting. (Note that I said barely, and not “not completely tempting at all”–my sweet tooth’s got roots that will take more than a month to clear away!)

I also discovered a lot of new healthy things to snack on that I really enjoy eating (and making!). With those healthy additions, and a lot less sugar than I had in my diet previously, my new eating habits should still have the benefits I know and love without the occasional crazy cravings and strict control.

So basically: if I want pizza, I’m having some, dammit. But with a side order of broccoli, please.

Photo Source:
eat-drink-love.com

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter