How to Overcome Your Fear of Public Speaking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Afraid of public speaking? Fear not! Here are 11 simple steps to rid you of your fears and make your next speech the best one yet!

1. Analyze the source of your fear.

The best way to overcome your fear of public speaking is to analyze the factors that cause it. Are you afraid of rejection or judgment? Maybe you are afraid to make a mistake. Whatever the reason, these fears can get in the way of giving a good speech. But by understanding the underlying causes of your stress, you can quickly overcome it!

2. Get organized

Organizing your thoughts and materials will make it easier for you to prepare for your speech. Research any information you might need to know and think about the types of questions that your audience members might ask. This sort of preparation will reduce your anxiety and allow you to focus on other aspects of your speech.

3. Know the material 

One of the biggest keys to being confident while speaking in front of an audience is to know your material. That way, if you mess up or lose your train of thought while speaking, you’ll know the material well enough to come up with something on the spot. In addition, if an audience member tries to ask a question during your speech, you will be able to answer him or her with confidence.

4. Practice makes perfect

Practice until you know your speech so well, you could give it in your sleep! Being over-prepared is much better than being under-prepared. The more you practice speaking out loud to yourself (and to others), the easier it will become. 

5. Watch yourself in the mirror

Practice speaking in front of a mirror. This is a good way for you to see your facial expressions, gestures, and body language, as your audience will. The key is to come across in a welcoming and engaging manner. This will keep your audience interested and make you look like an expert at public speaking! 

6. Record yourself

Most people don’t like hearing the sound of their own voice on a recording, but it is a great tool that can really improve your public speaking skills! Listen to the recording and take notes on how you might improve your speech. This will help you get used to the sound of your own voice and speaking style!

7. Practice speaking in front of another person

Try practicing in front of your friends! Sometimes it is harder to give a speech in front of people you know than it is to talk in front of complete strangers. They can offer helpful feedback and suggestions as to how you might improve your delivery. Speaking in front of others will give you a more accurate sense of what it will be like to talk in front of an audience.

8. Beware of PowerPoint presentations

PowerPoint can be an amazing addition to any speech. However, it can also take away from your presentation. Many people have a tendency to read directly from the slides, making it difficult to engage with the audience. To avoid making this mistake, keep your slides simple. Use bullet points and brief phrases to make your point. This method is more effective and will force you to keep your attention on the audience, rather than the PowerPoint slide behind you.

9. Avoid sugary drinks before your speech

Sugary drinks tend to dry out your throat, so try to avoid drinking them before your presentation. Coffee is another drink that should be avoided. Instead, try drinking water at room temperature!

10. Learn from the experts

Amy Cuddy, a social psychologist, has an amazing TED Talk on body language, and how we can change other people’s perceptions through our body positions. Another suggestion is a book written by Kenneth McFarland, called Eloquence in Public Speaking, in which he discusses what he believes are the key components to persuasive speaking. Both offer great suggestions on how to become a strong public speaker!

11.  The best cure is experience

Ultimately, the best way to overcome your fear of public speaking is through experience. With each experience comes a new sense of confidence. Pretty soon you’ll be an expert yourself!  

The official Her Campus Oregon account