How To: Neon Make-Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Summer is almost here! In case the weather didn’t give it away, all the vibrant colors and prints sure
did! Bright colors always make a come-back during summer but this year it’s neons that we are obsessed with. From dresses to bags to even our makeup, neon colors are all over the place! Although we feel like we can’t get enough of this trend, there can be a fine line between flashy and trashy, especially when it comes to your make-up. Here are some ways you can incorporate this color into your everyday look so you don’t get mistaken for a clown…or Nicki Minaj.

Lips

This is the quickest and easiest way to give yourself a little neon pop this summer! Hot pink lips are
flattering on virtually every skin tone and can be matched with tons of cute summer outfits. Since this
trend is hitting the runway really hard, the make-up industry will be sure to follow. Look for this shade in
your favorite lipstick brand and try on a couple shades to see which one really makes your kiss pop! Dab
a bit of gloss on the middle of both your upper and lower lips to give that bright color a bit of shine as
well.

Eyes

This can get a little more tricky. Not only can neon eyes make you look like you jumped out of an ‘80s
music video but it can detract from the rest of your look and leave people only remembering your eye
shadow, not your beautiful features. Again, we all love neon colors in everything but even with this
trend, there is such thing as “too much of a good thing.” The key here is balance. If you already have hot
pink lips then neon eyes might not be the way to go. If you are ready to take on the challenge of vibrant
eye make-up, be sure the rest of your face is neutral and nude so that your face isn’t overwhelmed with
color. Once that is in check, choose a color that compliments your outfit. Ideally you will find a color that
compliments your eyes as well but since many neons are more for the dramatic effect, it’s the entire
package that is looked at. Once you’ve decided on a color, remember that “there is such thing as too
much of a good thing” and sometimes less really is more. Start by applying color to lower lid (lash
line to crease) with a thin shadow brush. After, take a liquid eyeliner brush and apply color to inner eye
crease and lower lash line. Be sure to keep color as close to eyes as possible, any color that strays can
make you look like you got in a fight with Lady Gaga. Apply a light shimmer to the inner crease of the
eye and on the very outer edges to make your look glow and your eyes dazzle!

Blush

Neon blush can have so many levels of intensity. For every day looks, the picture shown above is a good
degree of drama. Again, balance is key. You can pair your neon blush with either your vibrant eyes
or lips, but not both. Choose a pink or peach that compliments your skin’s undertones. Apply color with
a thick blush brush starting from cheek bone up to temple. To help define where your cheek bones are,
smile really big and see where the crease is, right under the apple of your cheek and follow it back. Since
this look is dramatic, you don’t have to worry about making it look natural but you do want to make it
look flattering. You can finish your look with a touch shimmer or veil but be sure not to take away from
the rest of the look you’ve just created.

– – –
Sarah Felix is a senior at the University of Oregon, graduating in June. She is a double major in Psychology and Sociology and a minor in Communications. She also has received her Oregon Esthetician’s License and currently in the process of obtaining her Oregon Medical Esthetician’s License. She loves fashion, beauty and anything that makes her laugh. She’s a permanent Duck fan that “Lives GREEN and yells O!”

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter