Hooking up with an Ex Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

‘Tis the season for bootycalls.
It’s inevitable. The, “Lets hang out,” text you’ll receive from your ex-flings back home over the upcoming break. It can be tempting–the familiarity of it all, and the excuse that you’ll be leaving soon anyways. However, as good of an idea as it seems at the time, here are a few reasons you should decline.

At one point you most likely had feelings for this guy. Whether you’ve moved on or not, hooking up could very possibly bring back those feelings, whether you want it to or not. Bringing back these attachments will make saying goodbye hard all over again.
The best part of a relationship is the beginning, when things are exciting and new. Your relationship with this guy has run it’s course and the spark is dwindling. This means hooking up again might not even be as great as you’ve built it up to be in your mind. You already know exactly what it’s like to be with him, where he’s going to kiss you… There’s no mystery. What is the fun in that?

Going back to an ex is kind of like saying, “I can’t do better than this guy.” It didn’t work out the first time for a reason, even if it was “mutual.” In the long run, settling may cause you to question your self-worth, your morals, and can make you feel even lonelier than before.  It can also make it more difficult to open your heart up to someone new in the future.

Saying “no” to an ex just feels great. It’s empowering. Even more fun than hooking up with an ex: watching him squirm because he wants what he can’t have.

You might be going into this thinking things are going to be just as they were. But chances are, you can’t make your relationship what it used to be. Your experiences in college have changed each of you in one way or another. It’s hard to start where you left off when so many things are different.

Currently a senior at the University of Oregon, I am the Editor-In-Chief of the Oregon chapter of Her Campus. My dream is to be able to combine my love for travel with my love for journalism. I hope to be a part of something inspiring.  
Rebecca is a senior at the School of Journalism and Communication at the University of Oregon. She is currently studying photography and magazine journalism. Hailing from the mountain town of Bend, Oregon, Rebecca values being outdoors, staying active, and the beauty in simple things. She loves seeing what other people are exploring in their fashion and finding new trends. Rebecca is a lover of all things creative, spontaneous, stylish, and interesting.