HC In The Kitchen Week 4: Lauren Conrad-approved Hair Braid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

During the term I always wake up and throw my hair in a messy bun. With summer here, though, I’ve had so much more time in the morning to make my hair look cuter than ever! I’ve always been obsessed with braids and my go-to summer style is a simple side braid. While I was looking for my next project, I realized I wanted to try something a little different with my braid. I’m not a huge fan of ponytails and I like my hair best when it’s down and free-flowing, so when I found this cute hairstyle, I just couldn’t wait to try it.

I found this pin on a website called the Beauty Department, run by The Hills very own Lauren Conrad, or LC for those of us who have followed her since the days of Laguna Beach. I have always admired Lauren’s style, class and of course, her gorgeous hair! When I found out this hairdo was LC approved, I knew I’d love it.

Now the secret to cute braids if you have fine hair like me is to make sure your hair is a little bit dirty or oily. I know no one wants to walk around with greasy hair all day though, so go ahead and use your favorite product to give your hair a little more grab. I usually use Herbal Essences Body Envy Volumizing Mousse because it smells good and gives my hair the extra oomph that it needs.

The first thing I did for this cute ‘do was braid a small braid straight down the middle of my hair. If you look at the picture, this style is half up and half down so go ahead and grab as much as you want to start with.

While doing the braids make sure that one strand is a little bit smaller than all the others. This will give your braids a more textured, fun look. After making the first braid, position two other braids to the left and the right of the center braid. Again, where you put these braids is up to you. That’s the best thing about this hairstyle, you can make it look however you want!

After I braided the braids I loosened each one a little bit so it didn’t have such an uptight look to it. Then to add a little volume and zest to the rest of my hair I gave the ends a little curl.

Overall I was pleased with the result I got and people complimented me on how unique my hair looked! The only thing I would recommend is that you give yourself ample time to try out the style. I’m not the best with hair but I still know how to work my way around the bathroom and it took me about 45 minutes to perfect the style. I forgot to take a picture of it, so if you need reference go ahead and look at the photo on The Beauty Department website, you can find the link on my HerCampus pinboard!

Photo courtesy of The Beauty Department

Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter