This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

At the beginning of the year, I made a promise to myself that I would spend more time reading. I never sit down and just read a book for fun. This year I want to be doing my best to be actively growing as an individual. I want to spend my free time not just looking at my phone but consuming my free time with reading. Growing up I hated reading and rarely even did the required readings for classes. It is hard for me to find books that I find interesting and want to read. I know, when I have tried reading fiction I often find it hard to read and stay focused.

I am very obsessed with learning about ways to better myself and be the best version of myself. At the beginning of this year, I received a book from my mom called “Girl Was Your Face” by Rachel Hollis. I have heard this book before and have seen copies either on a podcast and or social media. After the first few chapters, I fell in love with this book. Her point of view and morals line up identically to mine. The book is structured almost like a list, with each chapter a new idea is presented. What I loved about this book is that the chapters were not lengthy. For me, I like to read while waiting for something. I Also enjoy reading full chapters, so what I enjoyed about this book is that chapters are not long so I could read the book chapter by chapter. What I enjoyed about this book is that the author is very real and honest.

I think that when writing a non-fiction self-health book it is easy to not tell everything about yourself in fear of exposing yourself. Throughout the book, she states how hard it is to share some of the stories and how even though she does not want to, it might affect someone who is reading. She provides advice for a pretty wide variety of ages. Though I was reading it at the age of nineteen, I could see how this book could be useful for a thirty-five-year-old lady. One of the takeaways and advice that I took away from this book is to yes be confident in your body, but there is a difference between loving your body the way it is and being unhealthy. She states how it is important to take care of our bodies not just to look nice but to be our best selves. For me, this was exactly the same point of view as me. It is nice to know that people view things the same as you. The book as a whole gives advice that is easy to remember, I think her authenticity is was makes the book so relatable. If you are into books that focus on self-health I highly recommend this book.

Alyssa Arcos

Oregon '21

Hi! I am Alyssa, my friends call me lyss. I was born and raised in Southern California and go to Disneyland way too often. I am a junior at the University of Oregon majoring in public relations and advertising. I am really passionate about educating others on sexual assault and how to have healthy and consensual relationships. I love all things beauty, fashion, entertainment and travel. I am a VS PINK campus representative. I hope to one day make a difference and inspire young girls, I don't know how but I know I will. I love getting to express my thoughts and share my life experiences.
The official Her Campus Oregon account