Different Ways to Go Green

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

With Earth week upon us, it’s an important time to not only appreciate the beauty and gifts that nature brings us all, but to further evaluate our role in the fight against climate change. Although the matter of climate change ranges in complexities and much of pollution lies at the means of production, individual action and responsibility matter. From calling your legislators, participating in environmental advocacy groups, even participating in meatless Mondays, every act toward reducing your carbon footprint and contributing to a carbon busting fistprint is valuable.

Here are few ways to go a little greener in your daily life:

Ecosia

Since December, I’ve helped plant 351 new trees by using the search engine, Ecosia. It functions just like Google, but the ad revenue is then donated to plant trees. Just by setting your default browser to Ecosia, you can start planting trees today!

Reusable Mugs and Bottles

Although not a unique recommendation, as a barista I see so many regular customers bring in their own mug or thermos. Most places offer a cup discount and by ditching the straws and lids you’re keeping that extra plastic out of landfills and oceans. The student sustainability center in the EMU offers free bottles and thermos’ too!

Bring Tupperware for Leftovers

I look like such an #extra environmentalist carrying Tupperware in my purse, but I say f*ck it because plastic and styrofoam are the worst offenders. Bring home your hashbrowns and teriyaki tofu bowl in your favorite reusable containers.

Elissa is a sophomore studying Arts Management at the University of Oregon. In addition to being senior editor of Her Campus Oregon, she is recruitment coordinator and campaign co-director for Climate Justice League, a member of Music Industry Collective, and works as a barista. When she's not hiking or watching documentaries, she's creating collages and dope Spotify playlists. In the future she hopes to travel the world and work for a major music festival. 
The official Her Campus Oregon account