The Collegiette’s Guide to Getting Home Safely Every Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

You’ve heard these old lines before, “let me know when you’re on your way home,” or “don’t walk anywhere alone” and “call if you’re going to be late.” Most likely your parents or relatives were the ones making these requests and raining down these words of wisdom on you.

But given that you are now enrolled in college and are on your own, your parents aren’t likely to be offering you this advice very often. The umbilical cord has been cut, if you will. So it’s up to us, as smart and able women to decipher what precautionary measures will keep us out of harms way while out at night.

Every so often, University of Oregon students check their student email and find a campus crime alert in their inbox. This type of alert notifies students of a recent issue around campus concerning students and their safety. These crime alerts range from burglaries, to students being robbed while walking home and unfortunately, sexual assault.

Sexual assault is a heavy subject but it is important to be knowledgeable and recognize that the risk exists for female students. Campuses across the United States experience their fair share of sexual assault cases. Below are a few statistics about sexual assault and the college female student:

• Freshmen and sophomores face the most sexual assault. – Aljazeera America (2013)
  • Between 80 and 90% of sexual assaults at colleges involve acquaintances, not strangers. – Aljazeera America (2013)
  • On average, at least 50% of college students’ sexual assaults are associated with alcohol use. –  Statistic found by Sarah Lawrence College
  • In a study of undergraduate women, 19% experienced attempted or completed sexual assault since entering college. – Center for Disease Control (2012)

Basic Safety Tips for Colligiettes:

1. If walking home alone, don’t just gaze down at your phone as you walk. Pay attention to where you are and what, if any, people, are around you.

2. Shoot a text to a roomie, sorority sister, significant other, whoever and let them know that you’re on your way home from the bars, concert, library, party, etc.

3. If you are really intoxicated, definitely walk home with people. The more the merrier!

4. Don’t ask the person that you just met at a party to be the one to walk you home – this person should still be thought of as a stranger.

5. If you suspect you are being followed CALL 911. It is much better to look silly and have to explain why yourself to a helpful police officer than be the next victim of an attacker.

6. Always carry a fully charged cell phone. (this tip courtesy of UOPD)

7. Avoid alleys and dark doorways. (this tip courtesy of UOPD)

8. Know where the UO’s emergency call boxes are located across campus. (this tip courtesy of UOPD)

9. Let others know where you are, where you are going, and when you will be home. (this tip courtesy of UOPD)

10. Don’t let strangers into your “space.” Keep plenty of distance between yourself and people you don’t wish to approach you. (this tip courtesy of UOPD)

How Other Collegiettes Say They Stay Safe!

“It’s a combination of things that helps me feel safe. I always look around and I walk fast but with a very confident walk. And also, this sounds strange but it worked for me even when I was studying abroad, but when people are in your area it’s best to look them in the eye. Just give them a really confident look that says, “I see you, I’m aware of you and I’m going to keep walking home.” Clara B.

“Hold my keys in between my fingers so if someone grabs me I can punch them in the face with my keys.” Morgan S.

“I walk on the well lit streets even if it makes my walk a little longer. I also have pepper spray on my key ring that I hold when I’m walking at night. And I talk with my mom or boyfriend until I get to my apartment just in case something happens.” Whitney M.

“A lot of times I talk on the phone to someone while I’m walking, and I try to stay in lighted areas. And I make sure someone knows I’m walking alone.” Erica B.

“Sometimes I’ll put my head phones in and pretend that I’m listening to music when secretly I just don’t want anyone weird to talk to me. But I can also still hear everything which is great. I also have a cute little pepper spray that looks like lipstick!” Kimberly D.

“I keep my hand on my keys in my pocket, walk fast, and am aware of my surroundings at all times! Also sometimes I call Safe Ride!” Rachel B.

“I usually call someone until I’m in my car or home. But I make sure to always watch my surroundings as I’m walking!” Jessica C.

“Assume everyone is an attacker and stay on guard. I also walk with confidence that says “don’t mess with me” and glare at strangers.” Leigha K.

“If I’m running at night, I always run kind of at a wide radius around parked vans, not right next to them. And If I’m walking a long way at night, I turn around to look behind me every so often.” Tanya G.

UO Resources That Keep Students Safe:

To combat these crimes, University of Oregon’s Safe Ride shuttles and the student-run program, Designated Driver Shuttle (DDS), are readily available to get students home safely.

Safe Ride provides around 9,000 free shuttle rides every year. This shuttle service offers University of Oregon students, faculty and staff safe car rides rather than have people walk home alone at night.

Phone: 541-346-RIDE extension 2

For additional information visit: pages.uoregon.edu/saferide

The Designated Driver Shuttle program operates outside the University of Oregon and is run by students at the UO. Their mission is to help students avoid getting behind the wheel after drinking to get students home safely. They run off of a “no questions asked” policy and rides are free!

Phone: 541-346-RIDE

For additional information visit: pages.uoregon.edu/asuodds

I am a senior at the University of Oregon! I love to run, play soccer and hangout with my roommates. Typical college chick stuff! I am excited for my future in either journalism or advertising, I'm majoring in both!